🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Off Topic > Girls Liking Video Games

Katara (1) on 9/2/2007 7:48 AM · Permalink · Report

I have no idea why I'm asking this question. But, it is wrong for girls to like video games? Most of the time, I play on Final Fantasy, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokemon.

MichaelPalin (1414) on 9/2/2007 1:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ask Oleg (Unicorn B. Lynx), he knows what girls like.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/2/2007 7:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ask Oleg (Unicorn B. Lynx), he knows what girls like

Well, at least better than some guys who admit themselves that their personal life isn't going that well.

Let results speak for themselves, okay?

xroox (3895) on 9/2/2007 2:15 PM · Permalink · Report

:) Of course it's not wrong to like video games.

There's no rule that says girls can't enjoy video-games. In fact, lots of girls do.

If you enjoy something, and it's not hurting anyone else, then do it! It's as simple as that.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/2/2007 7:07 PM · Permalink · Report

If you enjoy something, and it's not hurting anyone else, then do it!

And if you enjoy something that's hurting someone else, and this someone enjoys it, then do it too :)~

lasttoblame (414) on 9/2/2007 8:08 PM · Permalink · Report

...but if you don't enjoy it, well then at least get paid for it. But to tell you the truth, I think all tax auditors enjoy their work too much to also receive a salary for. And you know, Mr. B Lynx, someone out there is eventually going to listen to you one day and have their lives completely changed. Watch where you sow those pearls!

...Okay, back to the topic: it appears to me that in Asia female gamers are a substantial portion of the gamer population whilst in the west they remain a outcast minority. It also seems in that few games are made for this demographic to keep gaming primarily a boy's club; however, in the West videogames have the stigma of being toys for children and unsuitable for adult use: look at all the unnecessary attention and bandwagon-jumping in Capitol Hill as well as the nerd bashing when Halo 2 came out (Jimmy Kimmel was both his usually crafty and unfunny self when going after the gamers waiting overnight for the release). On the other hand seems in the East gaming is socially acceptable behaviour and not limited to guys who live in the basement of their parent's house. (though many Asians live with their parents as well until they get married)

Ichigo, are you a female gamer? I'm asking for purely scientific reasons.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/3/2007 4:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Ichigo, are you a female gamer? I'm asking for purely scientific reasons.

Ichigo, don't listen to him. He's one of my pupils who thoroughly studied my book "How To Conquer Women And Make All Western Politically Correct Idiots Hate You". So don't trust his thinly veiled "scientific reasons" implication... because the only science he's interested in is anatomy, female only.

:/

lasttoblame (414) on 9/3/2007 10:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey, what are you talking about? Can't a nice guy be evil? Though my motivations are purely self-serving and shrewd, basically I'm a nice guy who wants bad things; and isn't that good for everybody?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/3/2007 11:55 AM · Permalink · Report

I was just testing you, my disciple. You gave the correct answers. Welcome to the Dark Side.

---Darth Oleg

lasttoblame (414) on 9/3/2007 12:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Careful that the pupil does not become the master, you chauvinist swine. The only reason I don't initiate foreplay by getting wine thrown in my face is because I often wear white and when it gets in your eyes it really stings.... owwiee!

Virgil (8563) on 9/2/2007 8:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think many girls playing computer games, but not much of them doing it so frequently and treating it as even minor part of their lives as guys, so they don't go on gaming forums and don't talk much about it in mass. Several girls(normal, who has full-scale social life and not internet-junkies) , whom I asked, told me, that they're playing and not some cheap casual clones of Tetris, but normal titles, like RTS, adventure or 3d-action.

DJP Mom (11333) on 9/2/2007 10:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ichigo wrote--]I have no idea why I'm asking this question. But, it is wrong for girls to like video games? Most of the time, I play on Final Fantasy, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokemon. [/Q --end Ichigo wrote--]

Ichigo (or whichever persona you are this afternoon:)), of course it isn't wrong, just not as common as we would like it to be! Do you really live in Italy? Or is it the UK today? Because I'm sure in some countries more than others girls are made to feel that it isn't a "feminine" thing to do. But keep playing your games! Here you can see that there are even lots of sites (blogs, livejournals, news, forums) dedicated just to female gamers, so it's not a weird thing by a long shot.

Maw (832) on 9/3/2007 1:52 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm sure there are lots of girls who play games casually, but you don't see many that fit the Quake Tshirt-wearing 1337-speaking hardcore uber-nerd stereotype.

DJP Mom (11333) on 9/3/2007 4:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Don't let Stevie Case hear you say that ;-)

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/3/2007 9:16 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Maw wrote--]I'm sure there are lots of girls who play games casually, but you don't see many that fit the Quake Tshirt-wearing 1337-speaking hardcore uber-nerd stereotype. [/Q --end Maw wrote--] I seem to remember having introduced her already, but here we go again...

lasttoblame (414) on 9/5/2007 10:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Cool. Now that Quake IV is out, where does that tattoo go?

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/5/2007 10:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start lasttoblame wrote--]Cool. Now that Quake IV is out, where does that tattoo go? [/Q --end lasttoblame wrote--] Well, you can ask her yourself :D

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/6/2007 2:44 AM · Permalink · Report

She says she is sixteen. Holy buddhas and bodhisattvas, have mercy...

And she's Argentinian! How unfair! I always said bad guys get all the girls :/

MichaelPalin (1414) on 9/6/2007 8:06 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--] And she's Argentinian! How unfair! I always said bad guys get all the girls :/ [/Q --end Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--]

It's logical, bad guys are very protective, and you know there is nothing we can do against genes.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/7/2007 11:34 AM · Permalink · Report

We can do lots of things against genes. We can, and should, change the bad things that come with them. But why on Earth you people insist so much that we must change the good stuff as well - that's what I can't understand.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/7/2007 6:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Maybe because "good" is a illusion relative to subjective assumptions of present unfulfilled needs, which when fulfilled shall evolve into a new defintion of meaning.

I so sound like a n00b philosopher. Yay!

Ohmmm.

MichaelPalin (1414) on 9/7/2007 10:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Because many people don't think that the roles protector-protected are good, if that's what you say. And if you argue again that you have met many people that are happy that way, I can tell that I have met examples of the contrary, couples that are happy in relations of peers, even people that don't need such long term relationships and are still happy.

Oops, I'm arguing about girls with you again.

By the way, did you finally liked San Andreas?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/8/2007 3:52 PM · Permalink · Report

And if you argue again that you have met many people that are happy that way, I can tell that I have met examples of the contrary, couples that are happy in relations of peers, even people that don't need such long term relationships and are still happy.

Sure, everyone and his own style of living. It's just that from my experience, I've concluded that the second kind of relationship you described doesn't lead to long-term happiness.

Oops, I'm arguing about girls with you again.

I'd be happy to argue, all I need is basic respect from people I argue with.

By the way, did you finally liked San Andreas?

Yes, I loved it, except some morally dubious issues, I mentioned it in my review.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/9/2007 11:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Which is exactly the point, my dear Oleg. Perspectives, personal ideals and beliefs will, shall and always change based on what personal experience you are exposed to:

Once upon a time you concluded GTA (all or one of the series) to be A. Now you concluded GTA to be B.

Though I still must be the pureblood hardcore veteran geek and still fight against the oppression of the FPS Kapitalist dogs. But I like being stubborn in this regard. (Only once shall I be addicted to Counterstrike...never again!)

DarkBubble (342) on 9/4/2007 3:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Nothing wrong with chicks who play games. It's one more thing to do together.

DJP Mom (11333) on 9/6/2007 5:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Suzie Q are you listening? :-)

Chris Wright (85) on 9/13/2007 3:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Avatar 81 wrote--]I have no idea why I'm asking this question. But, it is wrong for girls to like video games? Most of the time, I play on Final Fantasy, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokemon. [/Q --end Avatar 81 wrote--]

Ten years ago you would be in much smaller demographic than you are today. So no, it's not wrong, and it's becoming less and less wrong all the time. :)

mobiusclimber (235) on 9/21/2007 5:45 PM · Permalink · Report

i've known lots of women who play video games, one since she was four. it's not wrong for girls to like video games, it's wrong to question a harmless past time simply b/c social strictures have drummed into everyone's heads clearly-defined gender roles that are becoming more and more useless and pathetic as each year passes. wear jeans, play games, run companies, for god's sake, it isn't wrong! =p

DJP Mom (11333) on 9/21/2007 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

:-)

Michael Del Toro on 9/21/2007 9:53 PM · Permalink · Report

I play COH with a bunch of chicks online, at least they say they are and well according to some of their pics I would say yes, they are. Its a lot of fun and some of them are Moms, while others play with their hubby/BF and others are a bit younger, still in high school.

Games are an excellent forum for both genders to enjoy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with expanding your mind by playing video games. It also helps with memory retention and hand eye coordination/reflexes. :)

xroox (3895) on 9/22/2007 8:27 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start bill rice wrote--]i've known lots of women who play video games, one since she was four. it's not wrong for girls to like video games, it's wrong to question a harmless past time simply b/c social strictures have drummed into everyone's heads clearly-defined gender roles that are becoming more and more useless and pathetic as each year passes. wear jeans, play games, run companies, for god's sake, it isn't wrong! =p [/Q --end bill rice wrote--] Very nice summation, Bill :)

mobiusclimber (235) on 9/23/2007 6:29 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sam Jeffreys wrote--] Very nice summation, Bill :) [/Q --end Sam Jeffreys wrote--]

well shucks. thanks. :D

DreinIX (10446) on 9/29/2007 12:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Katara:I have no idea why I'm asking this question. But, it is wrong for girls to like video games? Most of the time, I play on Final Fantasy, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokemon.

Of course it's not. Some may even have exceptional skills. My sister once beat in Tekken Tag a guy who claimed to have played every Tekken up to then and be good at it. The weird thing is my sister had only played Tekken no more than 5 times in her whole life. That guy quited playing video games after that - just joking. But I'm sure I would have if that happened to me. Also now that I think about it I've never seen a girl playing something else apart from a fighting game. I once tried to convince my sister to play FF X because I wanted her to change her opinion about RPG and she only played a total of 6 hours within 2 or 3 weeks. And after that she was asking to play Tekken again. What is it with girls and fighting games? Not that I'm complaining. My friend's sister was very hot when she was playing Mortal Kombat Trilogy (laughs).

Katara, maybe we should play Final Fantasy together sometime.

DJP Mom (11333) on 9/29/2007 12:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Oh man, be careful, you wouldn't want to end up like Freeman! :-D

DreinIX (10446) on 9/29/2007 1:08 PM · Permalink · Report

What happened to Freeman?

DJP Mom (11333) on 9/29/2007 1:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Read this thread!

Edit - and this one...:-)

DreinIX (10446) on 9/29/2007 1:18 PM · Permalink · Report

It's ok. I've searched for it.

You think Katara did something to him?

Actually, katara (κατάρα) in my language means curse.

DJP Mom (11333) on 9/29/2007 1:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Sigh No, I'm pretty sure she did nothing to Freeman...it was a joke :-P (Just realize that anything you address to her will likely not be responded to in a coherent way)

DreinIX (10446) on 9/29/2007 1:39 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah I guess so

Kluke (7) on 10/6/2007 7:31 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Katara wrote--]I have no idea why I'm asking this question. But, it is wrong for girls to like video games? Most of the time, I play on Final Fantasy, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokemon. [/Q --end Katara wrote--]Don't worry about it, kid. There's nothing wrong for a girl to like video games. After all, I spend most of time voicing male characters in cartoons. Such as, Timmy Turner from The Fairly OddParents, and Omi from Xiaolin Showdown.

DreinIX (10446) on 10/7/2007 5:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

There's nothing wrong anyway but it's a different thing when you are involved with video games and get paid for that. People seem to be more reasonable with things involving money and don't say things like stop wasting your time. I don't want to waste time explaining to them what IS and what IS NOT but I want to "waste" my time playing video games when there is nothing better to do at a granted time (when I can't go out for example). And I'm gonna waste my time to the very last second.

mobiusclimber (235) on 10/7/2007 7:52 PM · Permalink · Report

you can't save time you can only spend time and time spent can't be time wasted all our lives are only our lives and only other people make things complicated

Donatello (466) on 10/8/2007 4:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kluke wrote--] [Q2 --start Katara wrote--]I have no idea why I'm asking this question. But, it is wrong for girls to like video games? Most of the time, I play on Final Fantasy, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokemon. [/Q2 --end Katara wrote--]Don't worry about it, kid. There's nothing wrong for a girl to like video games. After all, I spend most of time voicing male characters in cartoons. Such as, Timmy Turner from The Fairly OddParents, and Omi from Xiaolin Showdown. [/Q --end Kluke wrote--]

You're sexually confused, Amy.

Zovni (10504) on 10/9/2007 2:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Lol!

Surfing Dude (2) on 10/17/2007 6:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Laugh out loud. LOL

DreinIX (10446) on 10/17/2007 6:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I preferred the Katara username from Surfing Dude. Oh and something irrelevant that I wanted to ask you for sometime. You go to a private school, right?

Donatello (466) on 10/17/2007 7:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

School for retards?

Your disguise skills are amazing, Amy. Decoy Octopus would be proud of you. And the way you impersonated your mother, just perfect. If there's ever going to be another Psycho remake, you just have to candidate for the Bates part, you're natural.

DreinIX (10446) on 10/17/2007 7:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Band? I thought it was only the opening theme in some Naruto episodes.