The evil Slick has kidnapped Ryan's girlfriend and taken over the high school. The player is cast as either Ryan or Alex (second player) and has to fight his way through River City's merciless gangs before confronting Slick and freeing his girl. River City Ransom
is a side-scrolling beat-em-up similar to Double Dragon
. The player, or players, travel through the locations of River City, encountering various gangs along the way. Gang members can be defeated with punches and kicks, or beaten up with objects scattered around. Upon their defeat, gang members drop money which Alex and Ryan can spend in malls to buy items that restore health and improve their combat abilities. The main characters have RPG-like numerical stats that can be improved this way, and can also buy books to learn combat manoeuvres. To finish the game, the player(s) have to find and defeat all the bosses.
- "ダウンタウン熱血物語" -- Japanese spelling
- "Street Gangs" -- European title
- "River City Ransom EX" -- Gameboy Advance title
- "Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari" -- Japanese title
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
||Aug 16, 2002
||9.5 out of 10
||Jan 29, 2009
||9 out of 10
||Nov 26, 2007
||8.5 out of 10
|Game Informer Magazine
||8.5 out of 10
||Apr 12, 2007
||8.3 out of 10
||81 out of 100
|Nintendo Power Magazine
||4 out of 5
||7.9 out of 10
||Feb 10, 2009
||4.25 out of 6
There are currently no topics for this game.
- When you are on the 3rd floor of the school and you fight the "Dragon Twins", the background music is the same music from the NES game Double Dragon.
- The gang duo Benny & Clyde is an obvious take on the famous criminal duo "Bonny & Clyde" from the 1930s
In the original Japanese version (Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari
) the characters wore schoolboy jackets and belonged to high schools instead of gangs. This was changed in the American version because the jackets could be mistaken for bathrobes and beating up evil gang members seemed like a more worthy cause.
Information also contributed by
- 2004 – Best Use of Barf of the Year (GBA)