DescriptionParadroid is a top view shoot-em-up set aboard eight large space freighters filled with droids. After going through a storm in space, the rays affected the droids and they malfunctioned and killed the crew.
You now have to destroy all the droids on the fleet of eight ships. You control an "Influence Device" which can temporarily control other droids and use their weapons to destroy the others. When your power is low or your damage is high, you will need to transfer to another droid or risk losing your Influence Device.
- "Heavy Metal Paradroid" -- Re-release title
Part of the Following Groups
|Transfer away, friend||Commodore 64||Katakis | カタキス (39505)|
|Popular Computing Weekly||Commodore 64||Sep 19, 1985||100|
|Your Computer||Commodore 64||Nov, 1985||100|
|Happy Computer||Commodore 64||1986||93 out of 100||93|
|Info||Commodore 64||Dec, 1985||90|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Commodore 64||Oct 26, 2007||9 out of 10||90|
|Commodore User||Commodore 64||Apr, 1989||89 out of 100||89|
|Commodore User||Commodore 64||Nov, 1985||21 out of 25||84|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Commodore 64||Nov, 1985||33 out of 40||82|
|Computer Gamer||Commodore 64||Nov, 1985||14 out of 20||70|
|Your Commodore||Commodore 64||Dec, 1985||26 out of 40||65|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe Commodore 64 version of Paradroid appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Heavy Metal Paradroid and Competition EditionFor the budget re-release Heavy Metal Paradroid, the playing speed was increased and the scenery slightly darker. According to Braybrook, it was "Paradroid with Morpheus style graphics. The Competition Edition, which utilizes the same faster routines, but retains the original graphics look was released as part of a compilation with Uridium +.
TitleAccording to Andrew Braybrook, the game's name is "a play on "PARAnoid anDROID" – everyone's out to get you."
- Commodore Force
- December 1993 (Issue 13) – #92 “Readers' Top 100”
- Commodore Format
- April 1991 (Issue 7) - listed in the A to Z of Classic Games article (Great)
- January 1992 (Issue 16) - Cf's all time Top Ten Essential Mega Games
- November 1994 (Issue 50) – #15 The All-Time Top 50 C64 Games
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 03/2013 – One of the "Ten Best C64 Games“
- Happy Computer
- 1986 - Runner-up as Action Game of the Year
- Issue 04/1987 - #9 Best Game in 1986 (Readers' Vote)
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #23 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- January 1990 (Issue 57) – 'The Best Games of the 80's Decade' (Stuart Wynne / Robin Hogg / Phil King)
Related Web Sites
- Mental Procreation' - working diary by Andrew Braybrook (March 1987) (First in the series of a monthly diary on the making of Morpheus in UK magazine Zzap!, includes how the Paradroid variants came about)
- The Birth of Paradroid (A monthly diary on the making of the game in Zzap! by Andrew Braybrook.)