DescriptionPole Position is a Formula 1 racing game. Enter the Grand Prix, race against other racing cars to achieve the highest score possible in the shortest amount of time.
Before the player can enter the Grand Prix, the player must first qualify by competing in the Qualifying Lap within 73 seconds or less. If the player however, does not qualify in the Qualifying Lap, the player may continue to race until the Race Timer runs after 90 seconds. The player will score 50 point per 5 meters and additionally 50 points for every racing car passed. When the time runs out - Game Over. The player will have to restart the Qualifying Lap.
Qualifying will enable the player to start in one of the eight available positions. The faster the lap time was, the better the starting position in addition to bonus score points. The number one starting position, is the Pole Position.
During the Grand Prix, the player will compete against the Race Timer as well as against other racing cars. If the player fails to beat the Race Timer in any lap, the player drops out of the race - Game Over. Completing the race by reaching finishing line will grant the player 200 points per each second left on the Race Timer, bonus score for distance covered, and passing bonus points.
- Every 5 meters driven: 50 points
- Passing Car Bonus: 50 points per racing car
- Time Bonus: 200 points per second left on the Race Timer
- Pole Position - Lap Time: 58"50 seconds - 4,000 points
- 2nd Position - Lap Time: 60"00 seconds - 2,000 points
- 3rd Position - Lap Time: 62"00 seconds - 1,400 points
- 4th Position - Lap Time: 64"00 seconds - 1,000 points
- 5th Position - Lap Time: 66"00 seconds - 800 points
- 6th Position - Lap Time: 68"00 seconds - 600 points
- 7th Position - Lap Time: 70"00 seconds - 400 points
- 8th Position - Lap Time: 73"00 seconds - 200 points
Part of the Following Groups
- Formula 1 racing games
- Games referenced in movies
- Pole Position series
- Video games turned into board / card games
There are no reviews for this game.
The Press Says
|Game Freaks 365||Atari 2600||2002||9.5 out of 10||95|
|The Video Game Critic||Atari 2600||Dec 11, 2002||B+||83|
|Atari Gamer - XL-XE Game Review Edition||Atari 8-bit||Dec, 2013||8 out of 10||80|
|Your Spectrum||ZX Spectrum||Apr, 1985||12 out of 15||80|
|All Game Guide||Atari 2600||1998||80|
|TeleMatch||Vectrex||Feb, 1984||2 out of 6||80|
|Zzap!||Commodore 64||May, 1985||70 out of 100||70|
|The Video Game Critic||Vectrex||Sep 02, 2001||B-||67|
|Sinclair User||ZX Spectrum||Oct, 1985||3 out of 5||60|
|Power Play||Atari 8-bit||Dec, 1987||4 out of 10||40|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CartoonPole Position was popular enough to have a Saturday morning TV cartoon based on it in the early 1980's.
References to the game
- The game is referenced in the movie The Goonies. When the kids discover One-Eyed Willies' treasure map, Chunk (Jeff Cohen) notices the date, 1632, and asks if it was a year. At that point, Mouth (Corey Feldman) tells him, "No, it's your top score in Pole Position".
- Pole Position is briefly featured in the 1984 Swedish comedy film Jönssonligan får guldfeber (The Jönsson Gang Gets Gold Fever) along with another classic, Video Olympics. At the beginning of the movie, the game is played on a pocket TV. Later it is mistaken for Sweden's "general plan" chip and can be seen running on what appears to be a Casio FP-1000/1100 personal computer.
- Happy Computer
- Issue 04/1985 - #10 Best Game in 1984 (Readers' Vote) (Commodore 64 and Atari versions)
- Issue 04/1984 - Video Game of the Year 1983 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 04/1984 - #2 Computer Game of the Year 1983 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 04/1984 - Arcade Game of the Year 1983 (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Pole Position advertisement (The original Atari commercial, hosted on YouTube.)