DescriptionOrcs have overrun the countryside of the small coast town of Riva. A dwarven mine in the countryside has been occupied by a mysterious orc chieftain who seems to be of an unusually high intelligence. For an inexplicable reason, the city authorities refuse to acknowledge the danger. And rumors of a group of traitors in the city's slum districts surface. A party of adventures arrives in the town and tries to investigate these troublesome occurrences.
Shadows over Riva is the third and final part in the Realms of Arkania trilogy, and the only one shipped exclusively on CD-ROM and featuring SVGA graphics as well as a smooth-scrolling 3D world. All other aspects of the game are very similar to its predecessors: the player generates a party of characters of various classes, roams the game world from a first-person view, and engages in turn-based combat displayed on separate isometric screens. Changes mostly include fine-tuning such a more streamlined inventory management and integration of area graphics into battle screens.
- "巫術闇影" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "La sombra sobre Riva" -- Spanish Title
- "DSA 3" -- Common German abbreviation
- "Das Schwarze Auge: Schatten über Riva" -- German title
- "Das Schwarze Auge: Die Nordland-Trilogie Teil III - Schatten über Riva" -- German tag-lined title
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Alchemy
- Gameplay feature: Importable characters
- Realms of Arkania / Das Schwarze Auge series
- The Dark Eye / Das Schwarze Auge universe
|One of the best RPGs ever made - a spiritual successor to Betrayal at Krondor||DOS||Alex Z (931)|
The Press Says
|PC Gameplay (Benelux)||DOS||Sep, 1997||89 out of 100||89|
|PC Games (Germany)||DOS||Jan, 1997||85 out of 100||85|
|Computer Games Magazine||DOS||1997||80|
|GameSpot||DOS||Jun 04, 1997||7.9 out of 10||79|
|Game.EXE||DOS||May, 1997||70 out of 100||70|
|Gamesmania||DOS||1996||70 out of 100||70|
|Power Play||DOS||Jan, 1997||70 out of 100||70|
|Gambler||DOS||Jul, 1998||60 out of 100||60|
|PC Player (Germany)||DOS||Jan, 1997||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
TriviaPublisher Topware used Schatten über Riva to conduct an experiment: the game entered the stores as a jewel case version, without a box and a regular manual. However, it only cost 50 Marks (rougly $25) -- about half the price of normal games. Topware wanted to see if a (fairly popular) game would sell more units if it was priced considerably lower than other products. The result was mediocre, and Topware soon released a box version follow-up.
Related Web Sites
- A video of Armalion (This is promotional video of the never released game Armalion. )
- DSA - Die Nordlandtrilogie (mostly German) (The biggest German fan-page of the Realms of Arkania Trilogy. Contains just about everything you need to about the trilogy. Maps, items, bug lists, patches, tips and tips & tricks, etc... It probably is the most complete database about the trilogy on the web. Unfortunately the the site is in German, but there is some effort at the moment to translate the major parts into English. Already done are the maps.)