Not an American user?
DescriptionIn this game, you control a historical character, Robert Ripley (1893-1949), a famous traveler and collector of rarities. One day, during a travel in Egypt, Ripley was attacked by mysterious Chinese assassins. The trail leads him and his Chinese girlfriend Mei Chen to the Forbidden City of Beijing. There he becomes involved in a mystery that will take him to exotic locations all around the globe.
The game plays like a traditional puzzle-solving adventure. Ripley will have to talk to various people, searching for information, but the main emphasis of the gameplay is still on puzzles, mainly inventory-based. The game features live actors filmed over pre-rendered backgrounds. Cut scenes are often presented as full-motion movies shown in small screens with close-up on the actors.
- "Ripley's Croyez-le ou non ! L'Enigme de Maître Lu" -- French title
- "Ripley's Believe It or Not!: L'enigma di Master Lu" -- Italian title
- "Das Rätsel des Master Lu" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
|Proof that infamous word "video trash" doesn't have to mean bad games||DOS||Hannu Siivonen (18)|
|A underappreciated romp into the life of a real life Indiana Jones!||DOS||sultan12 (6)|
The Press Says
|Coming Soon Magazine||DOS||Nov 30, 1995||91 out of 100||91|
|PC Games (Germany)||DOS||Apr, 1996||90 out of 100||90|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||DOS||Jan, 1996||90|
|Joystick (French)||DOS||Jan, 1996||89 out of 100||89|
|Power Play||DOS||Dec, 1995||87 out of 100||87|
|OK PC Gamer||DOS||Feb, 1997||80 out of 100||80|
|World Village (Gamer's Zone)||DOS||1999||80|
|GameStar (Germany)||DOS||Sep, 1997||77 out of 100||77|
|GameSpot||DOS||May 07, 1996||5.7 out of 10||57|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|William Lee||5||Terok Nor (17690)
Jul 03, 2013
TriviaIf you open the game configuration file RIDDLE.CFG with notepad, you'll find the normal game settings along with some unusual ones, like REASON_FOR_LIVING=MOM'S APPLE PIE and PROGRAMMERS_SIGN=PISCES.
Related Web Sites
- A Sequel To The Riddle of Master Lu? Believe it or Not! -- Interview with Lee Sheldon about a sequel to Master Lu that didn't make it past pre-production.
- DOSBox Setup -- Inferno explains how to use DOSBox to play this game on your Windows system.
- Game Nostalgia -- Provides extensive background info for The Riddle of Master Lu, with pictures of the cast and examples of voice-overs, full credits with shots and info about the design team, a demo of the game, specific details about the game, various goodies, all musical themes, shots of every location in the game, saved games, a list of reviews, including a "nostalgic "review and tech specs.
- UHS Hints-Page for the game -- The Hints-Page on UHS