DescriptionIn this game, you control a historical character, Robert Ripley (1893-1949), a famous traveler and collector of rarities. One day, during a travel in Egypt, Ripley was attacked by mysterious Chinese assassins. The trail leads him and his Chinese girlfriend Mei Chen to the Forbidden City of Beijing. There he becomes involved in a mystery that will take him to exotic locations all around the globe.
The game plays like a traditional puzzle-solving adventure. Ripley will have to talk to various people, searching for information, but the main emphasis of the gameplay is still on puzzles, mainly inventory-based. The game features live actors filmed over pre-rendered backgrounds. Cut scenes are often presented as full-motion movies shown in small screens with close-up on the actors.
- "Ripley's Croyez-le ou non ! L'Enigme de Maître Lu" -- French title
- "Ripley's Believe It or Not!: L'enigma di Master Lu" -- Italian title
- "Das Rätsel des Master Lu" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
|Proof that infamous word "video trash" doesn't have to mean bad games||DOS||Hannu Siivonen (18)|
|A underappreciated romp into the life of a real life Indiana Jones!||DOS||sultan12 (6)|
The Press Says
|PC Gamer||DOS||Dec, 1995||91 out of 100||91|
|PC Player (Denmark)||DOS||1996||90 out of 100||90|
|Joystick (French)||DOS||Jan, 1996||89 out of 100||89|
|Power Play||DOS||Dec, 1995||87 out of 100||87|
|PC Player (Germany)||DOS||Dec, 1995||80 out of 100||80|
|Adventurearchiv||DOS||Mar 04, 2005||80 out of 100||80|
|GamersHell.com||DOS||Oct, 2000||7.9 out of 10||79|
|GameSpot||DOS||May 07, 1996||5.7 out of 10||57|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|William Lee||5||Terok Nor (19328)
Jul 03, 2013
TriviaA scene was planned in the basement of the Odditorium and a sketch of the basement was made, but the scene was deleted.
Also a sequel was planned, called Ripley's Believe It or Not!: The Siberian Cipher, but it never made it past pre-production. Lee Sheldon gave an interview about the sequel to Just Adventure, which can be found in the related links section.
Related Web Sites
- A Sequel To The Riddle of Master Lu? Believe it or Not! (Interview with Lee Sheldon about a sequel to Master Lu that didn't make it past pre-production.)
- DOSBox Setup (Inferno explains how to use DOSBox to play this game on your Windows system.)
- Game Nostalgia (Provides extensive background info for The Riddle of Master Lu, with pictures of the cast and examples of voice-overs, full credits with shots and info about the design team, a demo of the game, specific details about the game, various goodies, all musical themes, shots of every location in the game, saved games, a list of reviews, including a "nostalgic "review and tech specs. )
- UHS Hints-Page for the game (The Hints-Page on UHS)