DescriptionFive years after the events depicted in Knights of the Old Republic, the Sith have become stronger and more determined to rule the Galaxy. The Jedi Order is nearly exterminated. A mysterious ex-Jedi has been exiled from the Order and is traveling alone. This Jedi had served under Darth Revan (when the latter was still on the Light side of the Force) during the Mandalorian Wars, but due to enigmatic circumstances was forced to retire. Now the past is catching up with the Jedi, and soon he or she will have to choose the side to fight on.
The Sith Lords looks and plays very similarly to its predecessor, also being based on the Star Wars d20 role-playing rule set (which, in its turn, is similar to the 3rd Edition of Dungeons & Dragons) and having the same combat engine, character development, and a Light and Dark ethical system, which judges the player's decisions and actions and influences story events and characters' responses. Additions to the gameplay include a lightsaber-crafting system, which allows augmenting lightsabers with various items, new Force powers, and the possibility to influence the alignments of the characters in the player-controlled party through conversation choices and other decisions. Most of the exploration and the combat sequences is done using a party of three, including the protagonist and two companions. However, certain parts of the game will force the player to travel alone, or to control a party made exclusively out of companions.
A large part of the military equipment can be upgraded using any workbench that can be found throughout the game world, including one available at all times on the ship that the player uses to travel between planetary systems. Different types of items have more than one piece that can be augmented. For example, the armor has two slots for upgrades (overlay and underlay), while ranged weapons have three (targeting, firing chamber, and power pack), and lightsabers have six. The easiest way to get additional upgrades is to either buy them or loot them, however they can be created as well at a workbench with the right components and enough repair skill. Medical items are a different sort and they can be crafted using lab stations.
At various moments during the game, the player has the opportunity to play some mini games: a card game called Pazaak, shooting targets using a turret from a first-person view, and swoop racing.
- "旧共和国武士II:西斯领主" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Star Wars: Caballeros de la Antigua República 2 - Los Señores Sith" -- Spanish title
- "KOTOR 2" -- Common abbreviation
- "Jiu Gongheguo Wushi II: Xisi Lingzhu" -- Chinese title
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: Odyssey
- Force Powers-themed games
- Gameplay feature: Character development - Skill distribution
- Gameplay feature: Dating / Romance
- Gameplay feature: Gambling
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- Middleware: FaceFX
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series
- Star Wars licensees
- Star Wars: The Old Republic games
- Technology: amBX
|Game industry News (GiN)||Windows||2005||100|
|Game Freaks 365||Xbox||2004||9.4 out of 10||94|
|PC Games (Germany)||Windows||Mar 09, 2005||90 out of 100||90|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Windows||Mar 30, 2005||8.8 out of 10||88|
|IGN||Windows||Feb 08, 2005||8.7 out of 10||87|
|Gamesmania.de||Xbox||Feb 24, 2005||87 out of 100||87|
|JeuxVideoPC.com||Windows||Apr 18, 2005||17 out of 20||85|
|GameSpy||Windows||Feb 04, 2005||80|
|PlayDevil||Xbox||Jun 11, 2005||70|
|Console Obsession||Xbox||May 31, 2010||7 out of 10||70|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Re: @#$^$%@#$^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!||6||Zovni (10666)
Jan 03, 2011
|OpenGl Drivers hell..||1||Scott Monster (1016)
Apr 25, 2009
|@#$^$%@#$^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!||22||Indra is stressed (20731)
Apr 20, 2008
1001 Video GamesStar Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Cut contentKOTOR2 was originally intended to have a longer more well developed ending involving the rest of your party members. However this was cut out and it is rumoured that Obsidian Entertainment was pressured to finish the game in time for the holiday season by Lucasarts. They were only given a 12 month development timeline.
A part of the cut material was an entire planet inhabited by droids. Unfortunately, the entire planet was cut from the game due to time constraints, making several of HK-47's subquests impossible to complete and leaving a crucial subplot unresolved.
The influence system that was introduced to the KOTOR series in this game was originally going effect the game far more than it did in the final version. Like the HK factory and other things the time constraints forced Obsidian to scrapped most of the consequences of influencing certain characters to the Light or Dark Side. An example is that in the original version if you influenced Atton to the Dark Side he would KILL the Disciple, and if you influenced him to the Light Side he would sacrifice himself to save the Exile and the rest of the Ebon Hawk crew. In the end, because of lack of time, the influence feature did little more than change the characters appearance (if the went to Dark Side) and gave them a little more attitude.
Cut content restorationBecause Obsidian was not allowed to work on the game post-release, fans worked on mods to restore the content. The effort by the modding group Team Gizka failed, but the unrelated project "The Sith Lords Restoration Project" was eventually released in 2009. As of 2012 it reached version 1.7 and is still in further development.
Game startThe events of the original game are relayed from the player to another character, giving the player the option to base the sequel on either ending (and the protagonist's gender) the original game offered.
- At the end of the game when the exile asks Kreia about the future she says something along the lines of "The Mandalorians die out over the course of millenia, until the only relic left of them will be a bounty hunter clad in their armor, killed all too easily by a Jedi. She is referring to Boba or Jango Fett (or both) from the Star Wars movies.
- If you ask Kreia about what will happen to the Republic in the future, she will claim that the republic will fall over the course of 1000 years. This is referring to Star Wars: Episode III where, 1000 years after KOTOR 2 according to Star Wars continuity, Emperor Palpatine destroys the Republic and reforms it as the Galactic Empire.
- 2004 – #5 Xbox Game of the Year
- 2004 – Xbox RPG of the Year
- 2005 – Best Character of the Year (PC) (for Kreia)
- PC Powerplay (Germany)
- Issue 02/2006 - #3 RPG/Adventure in 2005
- Issue 04/2006 - #4 RPG/Adventure in 2005 (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Developer Interview (Xecuted staff discusses The Sith Lords with Mike Gallo, the game's producer. (Jan. 30, 2005))
- Let's Play Knights of the Old Republic II (A "Let's Play" of the game on lparchive.org (English))
- LucasArts KOTOR II Website (Official Sith Lords website, featuring details, boards and downloads.)
- Old-Republic.com (Fansite containing various information about the series.)
- Sith Lords Hints (The Universal Hint System guide provides the solution and strategies in question and answer format.)
- StarWarsKnights.com (English fansite containing news, strategy guides, downloads and more (complete series covered).)
- Sternenschmiede (German fansite containing news, walkthroughs, downloads and more (complete series covered).)
- The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod (A modification which attempts to restore the cut content of the game (moddb.com))
- Wikipedia: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (Article about the game in the open encyclopedia)
CEO and Executive Producer: