DescriptionA discovery is about to turn the culture of Kharak upside down. The people, Kushan, are not native to Kharak at all. The discovery of the Guidestone is the ultimate proof that Kushan had came from another solar system, far away. And it's time to go home. The Mothership project united the world. Part base, part construction yard, the Mothership is capable of everything, as you never know what you will find in the void...
Homeworld is a 3D strategy game where you control a mothership and a fleet as you harvest resources, conduct research, and build up your fleet that can vary from small, fast, and nimble scouts to lumbering heavy cruisers. Move your camera in full 3D (up/down/around) and issue full 3D movement orders. Specify 3D formations for your ships, employ cloaked vessels to ambush enemy or employ salvage vessels to capture enemy ships, or defend against them with prox sensors and mines. There is a 17-mission single player campaign, or you can play online in true internet multi-player.
There are no promo images for this game
- "家园" -- Chinese spelling
- "Spaghetti Ball" -- Working title
Part of the Following Group
|All Game Guide||1999||100|
|IGN||Oct 01, 1999||9.5 out of 10||95|
|NUKE Computer Gaming||2000||9.4 out of 10||94|
|Vgames||Dec 01, 1999||93 out of 100||93|
|PC Gamer||Dec, 1999||93 out of 100||93|
|JeuxVideoPC.com||Sep 26, 2006||18 out of 20||90|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Sep 27, 1999||18 out of 20||90|
|PC Joker||Oct, 1999||90 out of 100||90|
|Spel för Alla||Nov, 1999||8 out of 10||80|
|GameLand||Oct, 1999||8 out of 10||80|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Not a 4X game||3||Abi79 (361)
Feb 04, 2009
1001 Video GamesHomeworld appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Cut contentWhen asked, The development team at relic said the game will feature 5 different races: Taiidan, Kushan,Turanic Raiders, Kadeshi, and T-mat. In the final version the T-mat was absent. Although the modders community have found a reference to some of their ships in the source, Relic never released more info about them. The T-mat are lost in the Relic development lounge.
MusicThe British rock band YES approached Alex Garden to have their coming song put into an idea for the game. They both came into an agreement liking the idea of how Homeworld is pretty down to reality ('we're all finding a way home') and for this specially this game, YES produced the song Homeworld / The Ladder which was the newest single of 1999 and the opening song for their album The Ladder. On the album was a Homeworld trailer.
ReferencesThe game contains a reference to the movie Blade Runner. After playing past mission 7, look at your autosaves. Some of them will have a prefix of "Tenhauser Gate," which is part of the dying words of replicant Roy Batty.
Server shutdownThe official Sierra game servers were shut down on 1st November 2008.
Source codeOn September 26 2003, the Homeworld source code and accompanying documentation was released by Relic on their Relic Developer Network. It has been stripped of code not owned by Relic Entertainment (including but not limited to the Bink SDK). On February 21, 2004, the code was released to the public
- CNET GameCenter
- 1999 - Strategy Game of the Year
- Computer Gaming World
- March 2000 (Issue #188) – Strategy Game of the Year
- March 2000 (Issue #188) – Best Manual of the Year
- 1999 - Top 5 Strategy Games
- 1999 - Best Music of the Year
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #98 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- 1999 - '99 Must Have
- I.D. Magazine
- 2000 - Silver Award (Interactive Media Design)
- PC Gamer
- 1999 - Game of the Year
- April 2005 - #46 on the "50 Best Games of All Time" list
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/2000 - Most Original Game in 1999
- PC Zone
- 1999 - Game of the Year
- Power Play
- Issue 02/2000 – Most Innovative Game in 1999
Related Web Sites
- Homeworld (Relic's website for reference of the game. Includes screenshots, concept art, ships descriptions...)
- Homeworld @ GamingHaven.com (Game reviews, links, screenshots and more.)
- Pilotview How-To (View the battles from a pilot's point of view! Right click your Homeworld shortcut and add the switch /pilotView to homeworld.exe. In game, focus on any unit and press "Q". This even works for enemy units!
The pilotView functionality requires Homeworld version 1.4 or greater.)