🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Minecraft > Horror?

Indra was here (20755) on 2/28/2011 3:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Yo, veddar. Wonders why it has horror and survival horror tagged. Though I understand the reasoning (skeletons and all), the theme isn't necessarily a horror theme.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 2/28/2011 6:42 PM · Permalink · Report

You are not safe from the creeper here.

vedder (70822) on 2/28/2011 7:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm, because the game is randomly generated, I guess user experiences may vary. But the first couple hours playing the game I definitely had more fright than any horror game ever managed to pull on me. Partly because I fell in a cave with hardly any equipment and with no idea what to expect, but I also remember hiding in my home waiting for daylight while hordes of enemies crept around.

Not to mention Death From Above creepers that drop from some hole in the ceiling you didn't notice. This game is not for the feint of heart.

While the game might not have been designed as a horror game, the emergent behaviour of its systems definitely spawned a horror theme, particularly in the early stages of the game when you are still figuring out how the world works and are devoid of protection, proper weapons and food.

Also have you been to hell yet? That place alone makes the horror theme justified, imho!

Indra was here (20755) on 2/28/2011 7:08 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]While the game might not have been designed as a horror game, the emergent behaviour of its systems definitely spawned a horror theme, particularly in the early stages of the game when you are still figuring out how the world works and are devoid of protection, proper weapons and food.

Also have you been to hell yet? That place alone makes the horror theme justified, imho! [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Well, I might live with horror, but survival horror may be a bit pushing it. Only I'm currently building a flying glass citadel.

Hell? Don't think I want to visit the Nether again any time soon. Got killed 20 times in a row. Stupid fireballs.

vedder (70822) on 2/28/2011 7:29 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--] [Q2 --start vedder wrote--]While the game might not have been designed as a horror game, the emergent behaviour of its systems definitely spawned a horror theme, particularly in the early stages of the game when you are still figuring out how the world works and are devoid of protection, proper weapons and food.

Also have you been to hell yet? That place alone makes the horror theme justified, imho! [/Q2 --end vedder wrote--] Well, I might live with horror, but survival horror may be a bit pushing it. Only I'm currently building a flying glass citadel.

Hell? Don't think I want to visit the Nether again any time soon. Got killed 20 times in a row. Stupid fireballs. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--]

Best to build walls quickly when in hell (or just start digging to get out of sight).

I can live with the removal of survival horror.

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/1/2011 4:33 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]But the first couple hours playing the game I definitely had more fright than any horror game ever managed to pull on me. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] I feel sorry for the horror games you play. Though admittedly, horror games have been sucking consistently for over 5 or 6 years now, so maybe you do have a point. Then again, with that reasoning Metro 2033 should be considered horror as well.

Anyway, go play Amnesia.

vedder (70822) on 3/1/2011 5:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Some games might have had a "Booh! I scared you!" moment here and there, but actual horror I've felt rarely.

Aside from the Minecraft example, there was a piece with a rubber boat in Cryostasis that was done very well and a similar experience 15 years ago with the dianogas the sewers in Dark Forces (which isn't a horror game at all, but I was about 11, and not very competent with FPS games yet).

All the other Horror games I played didn't horrify me at all. But to be honest, I've rarely been horrified by horror films or literature either.

I've heard promising things about Amnesia, and I might give it a try. But there's so many other games still on my todo list...

Indra was here (20755) on 3/1/2011 6:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]All the other Horror games I played didn't horrify me at all. But to be honest, I've rarely been horrified by horror films or literature either. [/Q --end vedder wrote--]An old woman mooning you. That usually is enough to scare the living daylights out of any male specimen. Zombies, I can fight. Babushka's underpants, not so much.

Oh, the drama! The horror! The retail pantyhose!

Indra was here (20755) on 3/1/2011 8:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--] Anyway, go play Amnesia. [/Q --end Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--] Only 968 MB. Hmm. Might as well, but if I piss in my pants again, I'm sending you the laundry bill, Martin!

Indra was here (20755) on 3/1/2011 10:42 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ugh, this game is tiring. I just figured out how to make an elevator system for multiple levels using a water fall. Going down is easy, going up is a bit tricky. :p

Restarting 4th attempt to replace an entire mountain with glass. Why? No idea.

vedder (70822) on 3/1/2011 11:34 AM · Permalink · Report

There's some interesting tricks you can do with water to allow very quick vertical travel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2ryFONrMM&feature=related

BurningStickMan (17916) on 3/4/2011 6:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I should really look into this silly little game. :p

chirinea (47495) on 3/4/2011 7:09 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm looking into it right now, and though it is fun, it is also quite frustrating. Not knowing the "recipes" for making things leaves you with a guessing game, and I'd love to have longer day-night cycles. Dying here is terrible, I wish I could craft a map. I don't like looking for info on wikis and such because I feel like cheating.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/4/2011 7:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]I don't like looking for info on wikis and such because I feel like cheating. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] Aye, but there's no other way I'm afraid. Tried doing it the normal way of trial-and-error. That wasn't fun.

vedder (70822) on 3/4/2011 9:48 PM · Permalink · Report

In this game the Wiki is definitely part of the game. The crafting guide is invaluable. It's a PC game, Wiki's are part of PC culture :)

There's no way to make a map, but I felt it greatly helped to place markers. I usually made signs, naming specific junctions in my caves. You can also keep a trail Little Thumbling style by leaving inexpensive material like dirt.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/4/2011 10:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Why the programmer created TNT in a fantasy based world is beyond my ability to comprehend. Exploding creepers really just annoy game play. Gawd, I miss Dwarf Fortress.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/12/2011 9:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Head's up. Just got the horror genres removed. Reasoning to this is just that the game was not intentionally and officially purposed as a horror game.

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/12/2011 10:21 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--]Head's up. Just got the horror genres removed. Reasoning to this is just that the game was not intentionally and officially purposed as a horror game. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--] Good going. I totally support this move. Which might just make this the first time we agree on anything, so the universe can begin to implode right away.