🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Mortimer and the Riddles of the Medallion > How to run the game on modern operating systems.

Ted Byron on 8/25/2010 11:18 PM · Permalink · Report

When launching Mortimer and the Riddles of the Medallion on XP, Vista and above you might get the error message: "The procedure entry point SUnMapL5_IP_EBP_12 could not be found in KERNEL32.dll" Here is what I did to fix it:

Copy all the contents of the CD to a directory on the hard drive eg: c:\games\Mortimer\ (Including the hidden files Dsetup16.dll and Dsetup.dll).

Now you can remove the CD.

In the directory you copied the game into right click the file Shell.exe. Choose “Create Shortcut”.

Right click the new shortcut called “Shortcut to Shell.exe” and choose “Properties”.

In the field called "Target:" add (desired username).mrm eg c:\games\Mortimer\shell.exe player1.mrm

Hit OK and now you should be able to run the game using this shortcut. Make sure you have a joystick plugged in or it won’t work (The game displayed a corrupted screen when I didn’t have a joystick plugged in).

This skips the game's Launcher where you create your character, so you have to play as the boy. Also I'm not quite sure what difficulty it defaults to; but it runs.

If you have any old saved games just copy them into the folder and refer the shortcut to them.

If you want to play as the girl and choose your difficulty level you can run the game’s launcher through Virtual PC 2007 (running win 98). Run Mortimer.exe and create your character using the launcher. It won’t run the game but you can copy the character file it creates in C:\MORTIMER\ (on the virtual drive) into the game’s directory (on your real hard drive). Then just refer the shortcut to the .mrm file that was created.

Also I don’t know how necessary this is but Lucasarts has an updated shell.exe in its support section:

http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update/mortimer.html

I replaced my shell.exe with this file and it works just fine.

MZ per X (3017) on 8/26/2010 6:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Sounds like a good tip, trick or trivia item. :o)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 8/26/2010 10:04 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm curious to what extent this game would overlap with the engines already supported by the SCUMMVM umbrella...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 8/26/2010 10:06 PM · Permalink · Report

I stand corrected; its 3Dness seems to put it more in GRiME territory (or is it more akin to a reskinned Outlaws / Dark Forces?)