DescriptionIn Silent Hill 3 the player controls Heather, a simple teenage girl. One fine day she goes shopping, but suddenly finds herself trapped in a strange, terrifying place - the eerie town Silent Hill. She hears footsteps; disgusting, creepy monsters attack her, and she has to defend herself. Exploring Silent Hill - and her own past - Heather must find a way to escape the dreadful town.
The third installment in the Silent Hill series is similar to its predecessor visually and gameplay-wise. Like the previous entries, it is a survival horror game combining action-based (predominantly close-ranged) combat and puzzle-solving. The game is somewhat more combat-oriented than the preceding installments. Heather is able to side-step and block some attacks, but in general shares with the other protagonists of the series their relative ineptitude in combat.
There are no promo images for this game
- "寂靜之丘3" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "寂静岭3 " -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "SH3" -- Common abbreviation
- "Jijing Ling 3" -- Chinese title
- "사일런트 힐 3" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- HUDless games
- Protagonist: Female
- Setting: Church / Monastery
- Silent Hill series
|Dammit, get out of my nightmares SH3.||Kaddy B. (758)|
|Back in town||Cronos (4)||unrated|
|Hands down, the greatest horror atmosphere in the series. But this dreadful Capcom-ish feel is growing within...||Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze (580)|
|Game Captain||Nov 25, 2003||89 out of 100||89|
|Gamesmania.de||Nov 25, 2003||85 out of 100||85|
|JeuxVideoPC.com||Oct 13, 2004||17 out of 20||85|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Oct 31, 2003||17 out of 20||85|
|PC Games (Germany)||Nov 13, 2003||81 out of 100||81|
|GameZone||Dec 18, 2003||8 out of 10||80|
|GameSpot||Dec 09, 2003||7.6 out of 10||76|
|Withingames||Nov 27, 2003||3 out of 5||60|
|GameSpy||Jan 16, 2004||60|
|Absolute Games (AG.ru)||Jan 03, 2004||56 out of 100||56|
There are currently no topics for this game.
BudgetThe budget was US$3Million.
DVDA DVD was also released on the same day the game was released, called Lost Memories - The Art & Music of Silent Hill. The DVD includes illustrations, sounds, trailers, production materials, and the hidden endings of all the Silent Hill games - all in all 200 minutes of footage. The disc also features unlockable hidden bonuses.
ExtrasThe US and Japanese version ships with a bonus soundtrack CD which features music from the game. The CD has five tracks, which includes a track that was not used in the game.
GraphicsIn the PC version of Silent Hill 3 the rendering resolution can be increased up to 4096 by 2048.
- The game starts with a nightmarish sequence, after which Heather —the main character— wakes up at a diner, in a shopping mall. When she gets out of said diner, we can see its name: "Happy Burger". In Silent Hill 2 there was a local called Happy Burger, in the corner of Sanders St. and Neely St.
- Two of the stores encountered in the mall are named after women from Goethe's Faust: Boutique Marguerite and Helen's Bakery.
- Near the end of the game, the player will encounter areas identical to the end of Silent Hill. This includes camera positions, captions and even notepads (used as a save point in Silent Hill). These notepads have messages on them from Silent Hill's protagonist, Harry.
- The game features numerous references to Silent Hill 2 (2001), including several small Silent Hill 2 posters in the Mall. When playing the game with a Silent Hill 2 save game on the memory card, other references appear:
- In the Mall, you are given the option to retrieve something from a dirty toilet. When doing so, Heather will crouch and hesitantly move her hand towards the toilet, accompanied with suspense music. At the last moment she comes to her senses, turns to the camera and says "Gross. Who would do something like that anyway?". (In Silent Hill 2, the player had to retrieve a wallet from a clogged toilet).
- When examining your mailbox in the apartment building, Heather comments that there is no mail, not "even from a dead wife". Silent Hill 2 starts with the player receiving a letter from his wife who has been dead for three years.
- When examining the fence on the roof of Brookhaven Hospital, Heather says "it doesn't look like it's about to break". James from Silent Hill 2 was thrown through the fence off the roof.
- 2003 – Scariest PS2 Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Hints for Silent Hill 3 (Question and answer type Universal Hint System hints give you nudges in the right direction before final solutions are given.)
- Official European homepage (Official European homepage in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian)
- Silent Hill 3 (Official North American website)
- Silent Hill 3 (Japanese) (Official Japanese website)
Graphic Engine Program: