Silent Hill 4: The Room
Description official descriptions
Henry Townshend is a man living in a small apartment in South Ashfield, a neighboring town of the infamous Silent Hill. On one strange night, Henry has a terrible nightmare, with recurring events: his phone is dead, his windows are sealed, and his neighbors can't hear him. He looks at his door, only to see it is blocked by several thick metal chains. A note is pinned to the door: "Don't go out!" It is signed only by a man named Walter. Henry explores his apartment, trying to figure out what is happening, when he spots a giant hole in the wall of his bathroom. Henry goes through the hole, only to find a portal which leads him to alternate dimensions. Hopefully, Henry will find out the truth about his apartment, Room 302, and live.
Silent Hill 4: The Room is similar to past games in terms of atmosphere. The game is dark and foreboding, never letting the player know what's behind the next corner or down the street. This installment of the series includes multiple new features. Henry never actually leaves his apartment: he utilizes a strange portal to travel to alternate dimensions, including a hospital, a cult command center deep in the forest, and a prison. Aside from the traditional third-person-view, there is now a first-person mode, which is used to control Henry when he is in his apartment. Objects that can be interacted with are highlighted by eyeball icons.
The previous games in the series have mostly been about exploring the town and solving puzzles; this installment has much more combat involved. There are more enemies in a given area, and more narrow areas and cramped spaces. Henry mostly uses a standard Silent Hill arsenal of weapons, such as the steel pipe, pistol, and (new to this game) a golf club.
- 寂静岭4: 密室惊魂 - Chinese spelling (simplified)
Credits (PlayStation 2 version)
94 People (74 developers, 20 thanks) · View all
|Director, Scenario Writer|
|Horror Phenomenon Program|
|[ full credits ]|
Silent Hill 4: The Room wasn't originally going to be a main Silent Hill game, but a spin-off with different mechanics. Towards the end of production, though, Konami decided to make it a main entry into the Silent Hill series. That's the reason why it doesn't actually take place in Silent Hill.
Silent Hill 4: The Room is the very first Silent Hill game to be rated 18.
- Walter Sullivan is mentioned in Silent Hill 2. He is described as a psychopathic killer who chopped two children into pieces with an axe.
- Another reference to Silent Hill 2, after you complete Building World, go into the bathroom and select the toilet. It will ask you if you want to remove an item that is stuck. The response is quite amusing and is a reference to James Sunderland removing a wallet from a toilet in Silent Hill 2. This was also referenced in Silent Hill 3 with Heather in the bathroom of the alternate mall.
- If you turn on the radio in the first half of the game, when it still gives you the news, the game's producer, Suguru Murakoshi, is said to have been caught "urinating from atop a utility pole".
- 2004 – PC Adventure Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
Information also contributed by Link Ramza and william sterry
Related Sites +
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Silent Hill 4: The Room (Konami of Europe)
Official European site.
- MobyGames ID: 14830
Know about this game? Add your expertise to help preserve this entry in video game history!
Contributors to this Entry
Game added by JPaterson.
PlayStation 3 added by MAT. Windows added by Syed GJ.
Additional contributors: Unicorn Lynx, tarmo888, Daedolon, Tiago Jacques, Patrick Bregger, brandon221234, 64er, John Mann.
Last modified February 22nd, 2023.