OverviewThe Learning Company was co-founded in 1980 as Advanced Learning Technology, in 1981 changed to The Learning Co., by Ann McCormick, Leslie Grimm and Frona Kahn and based in California. The first releases focused on teaching young children math, reading and science skills. The most lucrative properties the company developed were Super Solvers, Reader Rabbit and ClueFinders. The company joined the New York Stock Exchange in 1992.
In December 1995 The Learning Co. was acquired by SoftKey International. In October 1996, SoftKey International changed its company name to The Learning Company, Inc. and relocated it to Cambridge, Massachusetts. The company was listed on the New York Stock Exchange with Ticker Symbol TLC, and the TLC initials were added to the company logo. The company also operated the subsidiary TLC Properties, Inc. from the same location.
Acquisitions by The Learning Company, Inc. included:
- Microsystems Software, Inc. (Oct. 1997)
- Creative Wonders LLC (Dec. 1997)
- Mindscape, Inc. (April 1998)
- PF Magic Inc. (May 1998)
- Sofsource, Inc. (June 1998)
- Brøderbund (Aug. 1998)
- Mattel Interactive Asia Pacific (Richmond, Australia)
- Mattel Interactive Japan (Tokyo, Japan)
- Mattel Interactive France / TLC-Edusoft (Boulogne Billancourt, France)
- Mattel Interactive Northern Europe B.V. (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- Mattel Interactive Deutschland GmbH (Oberhaching, Germany)
- Mattel Interactive, S.R.L. (Milano, Italy)
- Mattel Interactive Spain (Barcelona, Spain)
- Mattel Interactive Ltd (Crawley, West Sussex, UK)
- Mattel Argentina, S.A. (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- Mattel de Mexico, S.A. de C.V.
- Mattel do Brasil Ltda (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- Mattel de Venezuela, C.A. (Caracas, Venezuela)
- Mattel Chile, S.A. (Santiago, Chile)
- Mattel Colombia, S.A. (Bogota, Colombia)
- One specializing in games was branded GAME Studios by Gores in January 2001 and then was sold to French publisher Ubi Soft in March 2001. This included rights to all Strategic Simulations, Inc. games. The SSI brand has since been retired, and all other acquired properties have been absorbed into Ubisoft.
- A second which focused on educational software, kept The Learning Company name, and was acquired by Riverdeep Interactive Learning Limited in September 2001.
- The third group, named Brøderbund, was put in charge of home productivity software. Riverdeep then acquired all of Brøderbund in August 2002.
The Learning Company became a brand of Houghton Mifflin Company (now Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) in 2006 when Riverdeep merged with that company.
Also Known As
- Mattel Interactive (from May 13, 1999 to Sep 05, 2001)
- Learning Company, Inc., The (from Oct, 1996 to May 12, 1999)
- Learning Co., Inc., The (from 1981 to Sep, 1996)
- Advanced Learning Technology (from 1980 to 1981)
Currently viewing the 50 most recent games. Click here to view the complete list.
TriviaMost locations in the United States that originally belonged to The Learning Company, Inc. (1996-1999) were used by Mattel Interactive after their acquisition of TLC in May 1999 until October 2000. Telephone and Fax numbers remained the same. Any locations that were unique to either company are listed at the bottom.
The Learning Company, Inc. (Main headquarters) and TLC Properties, Inc. (subsidiary)
Mattel Interactive (Cambridge office)
One Athenaeum Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
Toll Free Phone: 1-800-227-5609
Customer Service: 617-761-3000
The Learning Company, Inc. website: www.learningco.com
Mattel Interactive websites: www.mattelinteractive.com - www.mattel-interactive.com - www.thelearningcompany.com
Internet Solutions Group
600 Worcester Road
6493 Kaiser Drive
Fremont, CA 94555
Novato branch: (Mindscape)
88 Rowland Way
Novato, CA 94945
Additional Novato location (Mattel Interactive only):
The Learning Company School
500 Redwood Blvd
Novato, CA 94947
Note: This location was called Riverdeep in 2004
Riverdeep's Learning Company website: www.learningcompany.com
Minneapolis branch (The Learning Company, Inc. only):
6160 Summit Drive North
Minneapolis, MN 55430
Hiawatha office (Mattel Interactive only):
1 Martha's Way
Hiawatha, Iowa 52233
Related Web Sites
- The Learning Company at Wikipedia (Featuring a list of the Learning Company's games and it's history.)
Most popular games as rated by MobyGames users.