🤔 How many games has Beethoven been credited on? (answer)

Forums > Suggestions > Enable transparency for covers

Michael Cassidy (21287) on 11/19/2015 11:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Currently, uploading a cover that has transparency will cause the transparent area to turn black. Many electronic covers, such as those from Nintendo of America and Google Play, have transparency, falling prey to this problem. The only way around this right now is to remove transparency, which I've been doing by opening it with MS Paint and saving. Doing this seems to degrade the quality slightly.

Is this possible?

Cavalary (11447) on 11/20/2015 12:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Think covers are converted to JPG, which doesn't support transparency. I guess one way is to replace the transparent area with the MG background color, assuming it won't change, but still weird. And then the file should be saved as PNG so the only quality drop will be from the MG conversion, not have another before it too.

Tracy Poff (2095) on 11/20/2015 12:53 PM · Permalink · Report

This is in my plans to fix. I intend to keep covers with transparency as PNG when resizing, which will solve the problem, but there are I think certain issues with implementing this that will require some care.

I hope to have this fixed fairly soon, but it may be some weeks, depending on how much time I have to devote to mobygames.