🐳 Moby v2024.06.07

Forums > Suggestions > Create one account for deleted users

pinklessence (523) on 6/27/2023 7:50 AM · Permalink · Report

Hello, I found some games added by users who deleted their accounts and I wanted to see what other games they have added, however, because the account was deleted, you can not find a full list. Is it possible for Mobygames to create one account that would inherit all the uploads of the deleted users as soon as one would delete themselves? I saw something similar on one forum where if a user wanted to delete their account, all their submissions would automatically be merged into one special account for "abandoned" uploads. That would make it much easier to find similar games to what I like among people's uploads. Let me know what you think about this idea. :)

Cantillon (79437) on 6/27/2023 8:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Can you give an example? It is not possible normally to delete your account.

pinklessence (523) on 7/2/2023 7:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Sorry for the late answer. Sure. I was looking for graphic adventures for mobiles and I found these two games:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/158805/amys-adventure/

https://www.mobygames.com/game/124638/call-of-cthulhu-darkness-within-book-1/

They were uploaded by the same user id which was deleted. I assume this user could have added more adventure games that I would want to try but I can not find a list of games they added. When editing profile, I saw that there is an option to delete an account so if users are able to delete their profiles, why not have one account that would be used to orphan all the user's uploads and make it easy to see what games these users added over the years. What do you think?

Danfer (33513) on 7/2/2023 9:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Why not do a search by genre "graphic adventure" for all mobile platforms?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/genre:graphic-adventure/platform:android/platform:blackberry/platform:iphone/platform:j2me/platform:symbian/sort:date/page:1/

There is another game added by "Deleted" for J2ME:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/164935/johnny-rocketfingers/

pinklessence (523) on 7/6/2023 11:33 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes. You are right and I did that as well, but it isn't about the user, it's more about if there will be multiple users who delete their accounts and you want to see all the games and various info that were uploaded by these users, it wouldn't be available for you in one place. People may want to remove their usernames from the database, but since they've added multiple games, screenshots, companies and other data, obviously, their submissions won't be gone together with their profiles so it made sense to me if people could find one account which would "adopt" these submissions so that it would be easier for users to find them and sort through them. In any case, I guess it probably won't work here so feel free to ignore the suggestion :)

P.S. I saw this other game but it's just too primitive for my taste :)

Cantillon (79437) on 7/6/2023 12:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I think it is ok for users to delete their account (that was not possible before I think), but the contributions they made should still be browseable. By their numerical id or something like that...

Kayburt (32676) on 6/27/2023 9:23 AM · Permalink · Report

I wouldn’t really consider that a useful feature. If a user deletes their account, chances are that you can’t contact them anymore. I can’t think of a good reason you would want to compare games submitted by a particular user. However monitoring user activity is really important to prevent spam, vandalism, submitting misleading information and other unwanted malpractices on Mobygames.

Edwin Drost (9719) on 10/20/2023 3:58 PM · Permalink · Report

I know that has been awhile, but I was wondering if it is even possible for people to reverse their decision of deleting their account (or did this by accident) and want to return?

Kayburt (32676) on 10/20/2023 4:18 PM · Permalink · Report

I honestly don't know. Contacting an admin seems like the only option to reverse an accidental account deletion.

MobyReed (386) on 10/26/2023 9:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Nope. It's deleted for real and not recoverable. You can't delete your account by accident though - you have to go through a confirmation process.

Emitewiki (559) on 10/29/2023 10:27 PM · Permalink · Report

I know it's been a while, but I still really like this idea.