Forums > Suggestions > Create an extended version genre?

Alaka (106430) on 2/18/2024 4:40 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

When a base game gets a future release it usually comes with all the dlc included. I guess we currently lump them in with compilation releases but that feels wrong. When I think compilation I think multiple games not game + dlc's version. I think it would be nice to see all these "complete versions" of games being listed together without having to deal with game compilations getting in the way. Yeah there is the Game of the Year Edition game group but this happens with non GOTY all the time nowadays.

Just my 2 cents.

Kayburt (32323) on 2/20/2024 11:19 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Would a game and dlc combo count more towards a Special Edition? I’m not entirely sure how they should be classified. DLC on its own would be misleading. When we input DLC, it’s usually the DLC on its own which isn’t the main game. Compilations are usually existing games put together in one package. In certain circumstances there are exclusive compilations with games that are not found as standalone such as https://www.mobygames.com/game/194943/flopon-world/ . There should be a new sub-genre category called “Game Bundle” to signify that it’s the game and something else.

Alaka (106430) on 2/20/2024 7:26 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Special Edition is something typically released at the same time as the original edition, just with extra items included. Extra items are usually physical but if there is DLC it's usually not all of them,

The games I'm talking about get re-released a year or two later as complete editions. If the release is on the same platform it will have a subtitle like super duper edition but if it's on a new platform it might not have a subtitle indicating this.

However now that game relations exist I guess I'll just add the DLC in these expanded versions as in a compilation with.

Plok (216276) on 2/21/2024 8:35 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Absolutely needed.

Games like Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna include the original game content alongside the new stuff, while standalone expansions also need a relation back to the base game and none of the others fit.

Gouken (5171) on 3/4/2024 1:53 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

It makes sense to have this separated, because I have the same thinking in that compilation should be for a group of games bundled together. And the Special Editions are a different thing all together.

With that said, I can't help but think that the problem is the groupings we have now (compilation, special edition, and in the future this complete version), are being categorized as a genre, which is not really true. There is no genre identifiable in these. Wouldn't it be more suitable to create a separate category for them? You could call the new category "Edition" or something.