Forums > Bugs > bug with viewing certain platforms

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (100538) on 8/12/2009 4:37 AM · Permalink · Report

This has happened to me a few times intermittently in the last few days, but sometimes when I go to a game with multiple platforms and try to view a specific one. Example: Gunstar Heroes.

Dunno if this is happening for everyone, but if I click on Game Gear, Wii, or Xbox 360 for the platform it shows up fine, but if I click on Genesis then it just sends me back to the main page for the game, rather than the Genesis-specific page. Which means the credits aren't viewable.

I've had it happen a couple other times but chalked it up to a database hitch...this happening to anyone else?

Zeppin (8407) on 8/12/2009 4:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I tried the Gunstar Heroes entry and I couldn't get into the Genesis page, either. I had the same issue. I tried accessing the credits via the Rap Sheet bar to the left but while it listed them as being on-file clicking on them simply sent you back to the general credits page, asking you to again select a platform.

Foxhack (32098) on 8/12/2009 4:53 AM · Permalink · Report

Ditto.

Sciere (930960) on 8/12/2009 8:19 AM · Permalink · Report

This has been forwarded to Brian.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (100538) on 8/12/2009 9:59 AM · Permalink · Report

I've just found that this is happening to any game that has both Genesis and Wii as platforms, and it's always Genesis that is inaccessible. Checked a half-dozen games and they all did the same thing...

I'm finding myself wondering about the technical side of a problem like this. =|

Sciere (930960) on 8/12/2009 3:24 PM · Permalink · Report

I've sent another mail as an update, thanks.

Brian Hirt (10407) on 8/13/2009 4:04 PM · Permalink · Report

I've located the bug and working on a fix. The problem was created by the new game that was added to the system called 'Genesis' a few days ago. The URL rewriting system didn't expect there to be both a platform name called genesis and a game called genesis. MobyGames is extremely confused and It's pretty much creating havoc for any game that exists for the genesis platform.

I expect to have something out shortly.

Sciere (930960) on 8/13/2009 5:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That's really odd, I'm glad you could locate it.

It made me think of Bobby Tables.

Brian Hirt (10407) on 8/13/2009 6:47 PM · Permalink · Report

It is working now.

lol, at least the inputs were sanitized, just some stupid assumption i made that game name != platform name turned out to not be true 9 years later....

Anyway, I had to really dig deep into the internals of how the requests get parsed and make some pretty serious changes. I don't think there are any side effects, and I put the changes through some pretty good testing. However, if you notice something weird elsewhere in the system with a request not really giving the page you expect, let me know.

Sciere (930960) on 8/13/2009 7:55 PM · Permalink · Report

The credits seem to show fine again, thanks for the quick fix.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (100538) on 8/13/2009 8:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Awesome, thanks for the fix and the detailed explanation of what was going on. :)

Sciere (930960) on 8/14/2009 11:04 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I don't know if it's related, but I just approved the credits for Killzone 2, but they cannot be viewed.

It says:

There are no credits for the PlayStation 3 release of this game.

The following releases of this game have credits associated with them:

But nothing happens when you click that link.

Kabushi (261495) on 8/14/2009 12:15 PM · Permalink · Report

This happens with some other games too: Alpha Storm

Sciere (930960) on 8/14/2009 3:14 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The Killzone ones show fine now, but those of Alpha Storm are still broken. From Brian:

It's a problem with caching, I'm working on getting something out. Once I get the fix out new ones won't have the problem, and old ones will clear up in the next 12-20 hours

Let me know if there any broken listings left after two days...

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (100538) on 8/15/2009 5:21 AM · Permalink · Report

I hope this didn't open up a can of worms here. Probably not related, but I just had a company vanish on me: Kogado Software Products is showing up on searches and in game profiles but can't be directly viewed. I submitted an alternate name, then when I went to add some history I got an error message.

Sciere (930960) on 8/15/2009 8:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I've never seen that before ... Nothing seems wrong with it (searches, release info items, from the backend), you just can't view it when clicking. Could you take a look, Brian?

vedder (71181) on 8/15/2009 9:39 AM · Permalink · Report

I have a similar problem:

Biathlon series

This group was approved yesterday. You can see the group from games that are in it:

like here

But you can't view the group.

Sciere (930960) on 8/15/2009 9:48 AM · Permalink · Report

I've notified Brian of these problems. It seems the rewriting system isn't fully working. I had a problem myself when I tried to rename a Genesis game. It first automatically changed the title to "Genesis". After a second try it was stored properly but now the game cannot be viewed anymore, just like those other examples.

Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge

I'll keep you updated.

Brian Hirt (10407) on 8/17/2009 2:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Gah.

I'm still looking into this. It looks like some problem with caching of the rewriting rules. I manually flushed the cache and all links in this thread are now working. I checked the database, and everything has the proper data in it. So the good news is that this should be easy to fix, and I wont have to go back and manually fix the recently approved items.

I'll let you know when I get this fixed. In the mean time I'll make sure to keep flushing the cache every few hours or so to help minimize the problem.

vedder (71181) on 8/17/2009 3:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Cool, so we can approve stuff again?

Brian Hirt (10407) on 8/17/2009 3:30 PM · Permalink · Report

I just put out a fix and updated the news item on the home page. I haven't getting ahold of Sciere yet, but I don't see any reason to keep approvals on hold now.

vedder (71181) on 8/17/2009 3:33 PM · Permalink · Report

He's probably getting a tan by now ;)

Xoleras (66137) on 8/17/2009 7:07 PM · Permalink · Report

By the way, thanks for finally adding Slovak. :)

For the other approvers: I've approved the three sources in question, so the 40+ escalated PC MobyRanks can now be dealt with. (Just make sure you change Czech into Slovak there too.)

vedder (71181) on 8/17/2009 7:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Done.