Forums > Bugs > Multiple whitespace characters in game titles

Daktary (152) on 1/6/2018 12:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Hi!

While fiddling around with the MobyGames API I found that I couldn't find an entry for "Leisure Suit Larry 1: In the Land of the Lounge Lizards". After trying multiple search strings, I found out that the actual game title is listed as "Leisure Suit Larry 1:  In the Land of the Lounge Lizards" (with two whitespace characters between ":1" and "In the").

This shouldn't be noticeable by the typical user if he were to visit the game page (and also this forum post) because of the way HTML is interpreted by web browsers (multiple spaces are ignored). Still it should be noticeable in the page's source code if one would be interested in looking there.

Because of the way the API queries the database, using the full (correct) title would result in failing to receive any results. I didn't post this bug in the API section because I believe it's more of a data consistency problem than an actual API misbehavior.

I can confirm that this bug affects multiple game entries. I cannot say exactly how many, but over 100 entries are surely affected. 100 is the maximum limit of games the API returns. To confirm the problem I did an API search using "title=  " (encoded to "title=++") as the search parameter.