Forums > Bugs > Weird DDOS Protection (CloudFlare) Browser Check Bug

Katie Cadet (10036) on 4/19/2018 2:22 PM · Permalink · Report

This happened recently to me! I'm not sure why, but I'm running this on a Mid-2009 15-inch MacBook Pro running OS X El Capitan with Safari 11 installed. Every time I go to MobyGames or if I am inactive for a very long time this happens, so is there any way to fix this annoying message? Thanks!

vedder (70974) on 4/19/2018 2:50 PM · Permalink · Report

As far as I know the site was super slow and often unavailable recently because of bots scraping the site's data. Some more extreme measures were taken to ensure the site at least remains available for users.

I would assume this is a temporary measure. I do agree that seeing the message at the start of each session is a bit annoying. On the plus side I've never seen the site so fast!

Cavalary (11446) on 4/19/2018 7:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, it's not a bug. Site was awfully slow lately, so guess this measure was taken to keep bots out. A few seconds when you first open the site in a browser session in exchange for not waiting for a likely even longer time on each page load seems like a good tradeoff to me.

Simon Carless (1834) on 4/24/2018 12:22 AM · Permalink · Report

This was intentional, yep - Reed did it because we were getting seriously long slow/downtimes due to scrapers.

We will turn it on in the future when we are having more major issues with scrapers scraping us. (As opposed to us scraping other sites :P Which we do quite politely, since we only do one game at a time.)

JemyM (6) on 4/26/2018 1:05 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Simon Carless wrote--]This was intentional, yep - Reed did it because we were getting seriously long slow/downtimes due to scrapers.

We will turn it on in the future when we are having more major issues with scrapers scraping us. (As opposed to us scraping other sites :P Which we do quite politely, since we only do one game at a time.) [/Q --end Simon Carless wrote--]

I sent in an email about this... I was banned when I tried to crawl an update to my ID registry. I feel crap at the moment because I put in 6 months and countless of hours on a contribution project that was completed yesterday, I just needed one more check for entries that had been added the last 6 months.