Forums > Bugs > 'Import credits' automatically adding names in parentheses

Freeman (65146) on 10/6/2023 5:24 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Using the 'import credits' feature, I noticed that it automatically included several names in parentheses when it shouldn't have.

A couple of examples: I added a name as 'Hiroumi Onishi' [without a macron] and it changed it to 'Hiroumi Ōnishi (as Hiroumi Onishi)'. For another, I added the name in lower case since I knew that it was already in the database and it changed it to 'Roger Dean (as roger dean)'.

Since minor spelling variations aren't things that we include as comments anyways, I don't think that the import credits tool should be adding parentheses on its own.

Freeman (65146) on 10/16/2023 7:08 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Another credits' parentheses bug: On the 'Disambiguation' step, if the entry has a comment in parentheses and the system automatically matches it, but you want to choose 'I don't know yet' or 'This is a new entry', you lose the comment in parentheses.

Freeman (65146) on 11/4/2023 8:40 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

It seems that it's not just imported credits, but also credits that are regularly entered that have the comment (as xxx) added if the name differs in any way from the main name on file. I would suggest that this be reverted as it's at best unnecessary (and clutters the credits with extraneous comments) but also possibly wrong.

eg. Main name is David Krüger but you enter it as David Kruger (even though the credits list the accent), then the system will automatically show it as David Krüger (as David Kruger).

Freeman (65146) on 12/20/2023 5:44 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

1) Added comments in parentheses will still be automatically added when there's a difference of lower/upper case eg. Name de Surname added as 'Name De Surname (as Name de Surname).

2) I tried to manually add a misspelt name in parentheses. However, the Disambiguation step then tried to find the spelling from the parentheses and turned up no matches, despite the name being in the database. If I used the option to manually choose the id #, then the comment would be removed.

Patrick Bregger (303232) on 1/12/2024 10:20 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

I just had a similar bug. If I add the following credits (doesn't matter if manually or imported):

Yuri Lowenthal (as Huckleberry)

Anjali Bhimani (as The Hermit)

Erika Ishii (as The Kid)

Zeke Alton (as Abraham the Porter)

It ignores the names and adds Huckleberry, The Hermit etc. as developers instead. When entering the names manually, it enters them correctly after pressing enter, but replaces them with the wrong entries after saving or moving to the Disambiguation step.

The game is Homestead Arcana (Windows Apps)

Edit: The problem is the "as". When I enter "Yuri Lowenthal (Huckleberry)" etc. it works

Freeman (65146) on 1/7/2024 12:39 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

1) When adding credits normally, the system will remove comments in parentheses; it doesn't do this when editing credits afterwards through the back-end.

2) The system will still use the name in parentheses, and not the main name, to attempt to find a match. eg. I submitted these credits. When adding 'Nobuyuki Tanaka (as Tanaka)', the system didn't display 'Nobuyuki Tanaka' as a possible match.

Freeman (65146) on 3/1/2024 5:00 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

The system will still automatically add names in parentheses when it attempts to match names in the 3rd step if the entered name is different than the main name, even if you try to add a new entry.

eg. It wants to assign 'Mike Smith' to a 'Michael Smith' entry that has 'Mike Smith' as an AKA. I want to add the name as a new entry. So it will show up as "Mike Smith (as Mike Smith)".

Freeman (65146) on 3/4/2024 8:10 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Using 'as' in parentheses now seems to completely remove the main name. I added a voice role, eg. Mike Smith (as Voice Role), and on the Disambiguation step the entry showed up only as 'Voice Role'. Going back to the 2nd step, the main name no longer displayed; only the text after 'as'.