Forums > Bugs > Unknown sort of bug about a game year.

MAT (240988) on 2/24/2003 7:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I've been looking at Louis Castle's rap sheet and then I went to click on chronologically appearance of gameography, and there was listed "Emperor: Battle for Dune" with (1993) aside. Since that game is made in 2001, and I went to check on that game's site and all the years are correct, I dunno what might've caused that mistake. I bet this is gonna be a hard one to spot, eh Brian? ;)

-Chris (7757) on 2/24/2003 9:57 PM · Permalink · Report

As a sidenote, one of the two release dates for Emperor is identified as "21.05.2001 (Emperor goes Gold!)". I was surprised to see that we accept gold master dates. They are part of the internal production process and do not mark a release. .

Corn Popper (69019) on 2/25/2003 12:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah we take Gold dates, but Brian is going to have to flag those differently like the patches because the gold date is showing up as the earliest release date on the summary page which is wrong.

MAT (240988) on 3/2/2003 10:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, we do take Gold releases, but not before the game is actually released. It should usually be added when the game is released, not before.

Brian Hirt (10407) on 4/14/2003 11:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I do plan on seperating gold dates from release dates because it gives confusing results to people looking at the data.

I've been thinking about limiting gold dates to ONE per game/platform. Is this assumption totally incorrect? Would an PS2 game have more than one gold date? Are there different gold dates in different countries?

Also, I think I'm NOT going to allow publishers and developer to be associated with gold dates. It seems like storing that information with gold dates is 1) confusing & misleading and 2) not necessary and 3) too much information.

I could be wrong on both of these, so input is appreciated before I spend time coding something that doesn't make sense.

Corn Popper (69019) on 4/15/2003 12:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, there are different gold dates for different countries and platforms.

I actually don't see why we need gold dates.

Console gold dates are rarely annouced to the public. Gold dates in general are not always annouced... only mostly for big title games. I haven't seen too many submissions of gold dates in general on the site.

MAT (240988) on 4/23/2003 10:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Brian, can you please go and check Brett W. Sperry's or Louis Castle's rap sheet and check the games they worked on chronologically.

You will see "Emperor: battle for Dune" which has 2001 for release years, still between 1993 and 1994. Due to 'gold' date debate, you neglected my original question :) Only now it normally says 2001, and not 1993, but it is still wrongly set chronologically. I cannot figure out why.

MAT (240988) on 4/23/2003 10:26 PM · Permalink · Report

I added that "goes gold!" date. I was usually adding both "gold" and "release" dates back then. Back then when Jim said it should be stated as dates as well. I dunno if in the meantime we do not accept those dates.

MAT (240988) on 4/23/2003 10:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh silly me, replying to something to which I already replies like 2 months ago. Sorry, lol. That's what happens when you're typing after midnight.