Forums > News > MobyGames ownership update

MobyReed (386) on 3/8/2022 8:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I’m pleased to announce that Atari is now supporting our mission to preserve video game history. They have completed acquisition of the site from Antstream. You can read the official press release here.

Since 2013 I’ve been running MobyGames and will continue doing so. Atari understands how important our project is for the gaming community and they’re well aligned with our plans to improve the database and tools. In fact, Atari’s new CEO is a retro gamer/collector and long time fan of the site!

We will now be investing in full-time development (we’ve been operating with part-time dev) to complete the new site that’s been in the works the past few years. Which will replace our 20+ year old codebase and tools. It’s currently in beta testing with our admins and approvers. We’ll be expanding the beta as development gets ramped up. Stay tuned!

S Olafsson (60396) on 3/9/2022 12:50 AM · Permalink · Report

Wait, it’s not April yet is it?

gbcat (13233) on 3/9/2022 1:38 AM · Permalink · Report

Please add 3-character Sony PN prefixes

Cavalary (11448) on 3/9/2022 2:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Took a while for this announcement...

But recalling the previous "new site" following a change in ownership, I'm more than wary until/unless proven wrong.

Chris Hayes (2) on 3/10/2022 1:40 AM · Permalink · Report

This. 100%. There are some signals in the post that give me some confidence, but the GameFly iteration was so bad that I'm scared for what may come next.

Emitewiki (559) on 3/9/2022 7:18 PM · Permalink · Report

WOAH! It has happened. The sound of full time development on this site is what excites me most. The facelift will be a big boon!

Pedro Ferreira (2643) on 3/10/2022 1:31 AM · Permalink · Report

Will there be the chance to add more approval mods to the website? I think there's still too much for the group to get done quick enough leading to months of delays. The current mods are doing great work as it is but we need more of them to be looking at approval requests.

lights out party (86871) on 3/10/2022 2:14 PM · Permalink · Report

That shouldn't be dependant on this change. I imagine it simply comes down to the supply of (competent) willing volunteers.

MobyReed (386) on 7/15/2022 2:29 AM · Permalink · Report

A major goal of the new platform is to improve the entire contribution and approval flow. So it's not just about adding more approvers, though we'll do that as well. Eventually I'd love to get to the point where we are able to approve most submissions within a few days and rarely more than a week.

Adam H on 3/10/2022 9:58 AM · Permalink · Report

What's in the future for MobyGames & the planned redesign? Is it possible we'll be able to browse games by boxart or screenshots like https://www.vgcomplete.com/sega-genesis ?

Terok Nor (42759) on 3/13/2022 10:01 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm assuming releasing the data under an open license like Creative Commons (as was discussed some years ago) is now off the table?

PoliticallyCorrupt (2564) on 3/16/2022 9:53 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

If the stated mission is still to preserve gaming history, it's an option that should still be contemplated.

twitek (13973) on 3/16/2022 7:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Does this mean we can remove Antstream as a "platform"? Or do we add all other streaming platforms now?

vedder (71181) on 3/16/2022 8:06 AM · Permalink · Report

Which ones are you missing? Besides AntStream we already cover Luna, Stadia, OnLive, Plex Arcade, and PlayStation Now. Maybe more I can't think of of the top of my head.

Plok (220651) on 3/16/2022 5:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Also Xbox Cloud Gaming and OOParts.

Giuseppe Puglisi (1096) on 3/17/2022 6:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Fingers crossed.

Mark Buttler on 6/22/2022 11:11 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

spam

RyanDrake on 7/14/2022 9:21 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[spam redacted]