Forums > News > Moby v2023.03.10 Release

MobyReed (325) on 3/11/2023 5:11 AM · Permalink · Report

Update Log

• Added game browser ability to filter by number of ratings when sorting by critic score or by player score
  • Added "x more" link under cover thumbnail on game overview pages, when relevant
  • Added "Date added" to screenshots and photos (more will appear as cache is updated)
  • Increased # of related groups on group pages from 5 to 10 (example)
  • Moby Score now requires a minimum of 5+ critic ratings or 10+ player ratings
  • Enable clearing purchase price on collected games
  • Use AND in forum search
  • Fix editing descriptions for game submissions started on oldmoby
  • Fix adding critic sources
  • Fix for direct messages
  • Misc. approver tool fixes and backend bug fixes

Danfer (33265) on 3/11/2023 10:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Can we have the "Date Added" for covers as well? maybe showing in addition also the original resolution of the scans as it was on the old site?

MobyReed (325) on 3/14/2023 7:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yep, date added is now there when it exists and cache has updated.

Original scans weren't available on the old site. But that's a common request and we're thinking about making those available to contributors.

MobyReed (325) on 3/15/2023 2:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Ahh, the width/height of the box. Sure, will add that.

joicrawu (80) on 3/11/2023 5:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey there, again amazing update! Thanks for fixing the wrong display of stars and recalculating the Mobyscores.

2 bugs I´ve noticed with scores.

The first one which happens with every single game is:

The number of Player ratings indicated on a game´s overview page is always double the real overall number of ratings (correctly indicated at the bottom of the overview page where the Reviews section is and in the Reviews tab).

The second bug is that on the overview page of a game, next to the critic %, when you hover over the number of critic ratings, the value displayed is either:

1- The sum of total number of overall ratings + total number of overall ratings excluding duplicates from the same critic source

2- The sum of total number of overall ratings * 2

I guess you´ll be able to fix these no problem, and as far as I can tell they´re just display issues which don´t affect the real numbers.

joicrawu (80) on 3/11/2023 6:20 PM · Permalink · Report

I have some questions regarding scores.

First I´d like to clarify (just because you didn´t mention it), that the Overall Mobyscore is only assigned when BOTH Critic ratings number 5+ AND Player ratings number 10+. Again, to avoid confusion, that only happens with OVERALL Mobyscores. Platform-specific require just one of the 2 to get a Mobyscore.

With that out of the way, I have some questions:

I´ve noticed that since the March 9 update, you started to exclude critic ratings if the same source gave more than 1 review for that game (and this is both for the overall score as well as with a specific platform). Therefore if a publication rates a game on several platforms, you only factor in 1 review, and if a publication rates a game more than once on a single platform, you also only factor in 1 review. However, what method do you use? As far as I can tell from calculations, you´re using that publication´s highest rating. Is that so?

Which leads me to the next question:

Now you effectively have 2 different overall critic % (in cases where there are duplicate sources and the average differs to the extent to which there´s at least 1% difference, which obviously isn´t always the case). One is displayed in the overview at the top, and the other one is displayed at the bottom or in the reviews tab. So what you´ve done is put the Real number of critic reviews including duplicates at the top, and the number of critic reviews excluding duplicates at the bottom. (I say duplicates but that´s not exactly right, it would just be "Reviews coming from the same Critic source"). Therefore, when looking for games in the browser, which of the 2 percentages do you use? I can´t remember now, and Games Browser seems to be disabled right now.

Another thing is, maybe it would be a good idea to include a Hover description (or maybe a number between brackets) indicating how many reviews actually count towards the calculation of a Critic % as a means of clarification both on the overall part as well as in each platform. Otherwise it´s confusing. As of now, as far as I can tell, there is no indication of how many "Reviews from same source" happen on a single platform.

Another Bug? I´ve noticed it that overall Mobyscores sometimes (but rarely) don´t match in the overview of a game (at the top and at the bottom where the reviews section is): https://www.mobygames.com/game/42258/batman-arkham-asylum/ https://www.mobygames.com/game/3889/mortal-kombat-gold/

No idea why.

Another small bug I´ve noticed is that whenever there´s a dropdown in the reviews part of the overview page indicating "show all X platforms", that "X" when clicked on, doesn´t display all the platforms that the number indicates. Th reason for that, I believe, is that it is indicating the Total number of platforms the game came out on. However, your display of platforms in the reviews section of the Overview of a game seems to just include all platforms that have at least 1 critic review, or 1 player rating. If a platform doesn´t have any, it isn´t there. That´s why the "Show all X platforms" doesn´t match with how many platforms are actually shown when you click on it:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/9547/phantasie-ii/

That game is on 9 platforms, but 1 of them doesn´t have a single critic or player review. Therefore it should say "Show all 8 platforms". Either that, or show all 9 platforms including the one which doesn´t have a single critic or player review (in this case MSX).

Another thing is, this game being an example of it, you´ll notice the game has a Mobyscore of 7.7. However, it isn´t ranked (and quite rightly with your new system, as it doesn´t have enough overall critic reviews). If we break it down it has 6 reviews overall from critics, 2 unscored (which don´t factor in), and 4 with scores (one from the same source, hence the 3 reviews). This leads to that difference of 65% in the main part of the overview vs the 59% in the reviews section.

Regardless of that confusing part which I mentioned previously, why does the game have a Mobyscore (but correctly doesn´t have an overall ranking)?

Another example of differing overall Mobyscores at the top and bottom: https://www.mobygames.com/game/8030/wwf-raw/

This one has 3 different Mobyscores: https://www.mobygames.com/game/955/resident-evil-2/

Sorry for asking so many questions and pointing out bugs all the time in reference to this. I just want to collaborate with the smooth running of this part of the Database as much as possible, even if it´s just asking questions for clarification and pointing out bugs. I don´t want to come about as nagging.

Lastly, thank you so much for everything you´re doing. You 100% deserve to be the go-to video game site form almost everything!

StillWorthPlaying (22) on 3/12/2023 7:11 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Since this update, trying to use the Game Browser only produces the "An unexpected error ocurred" page when I use Firefox. I tried in Chrome and I'm not having the same problems, so not too big an issue, but I thought it was worth drawing attention to.

Vereina (785) on 3/12/2023 9:18 AM · Permalink · Report

I wonder, if any change made to the user profile becoming visible only after 24 hours pass is a bug or a feature?

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (569366) on 3/12/2023 7:34 PM · Permalink · Report

changes made to your own profile should be instantaneously. Maybe refreshing the page or deleting cookies (so it has to refresh) will help. I just changed my profile and it changed directly

Vereina (785) on 3/13/2023 7:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, so far instantenous is the current contribution points increase. Yet the "within the past year" section takes 24+ hours to upgrade. Any changes I made in my profile settings that are more or less site-wide, like display name change, went active only after another 24+ hour period. And I did clear out all the cookies not so long ago.

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (569366) on 3/12/2023 11:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Is it still a work in progress with the following: adding tech-specs/rating, during the creation of a new entry (scraped or otherwise)?

Infernos (44326) on 3/13/2023 12:53 PM · Permalink · Report

1) For the "Most Wanted" feature. Is the option to search for games with missing product codes (barcodes, Sony PNs and so on) coming back?
2) Speaking of Most Wanted feature, it could use an option to sort results by alphabet and release date. Currently it looks like the most recently added games appear first.
3) For Browse->Games. When sorting games alphabetical it could use a horizontal alphabet bar on top or bottom for easier navigation. For example, click on letter K to go straight to games that start with that letter.
4) Are the yearly splits coming back in Contributor Leaderboards? How 'bout leaderboards for other contribution types? As currently there's just 6 types (Games/Credits/Companies/Screenshots/Cover Art/Trivia).
5) On desktop I like the feature that you can cycle through images (screenshots/covers/promos) with the left/right arrow keys. However, on mobile it could also use an easy way to cycle through images, either swiping left/right or perhaps left/right arrow overlays on the images.

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (569366) on 3/14/2023 5:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

this bug is just in: adding covers to a game in progress -> the cover is uploaded -> adding sources to then submit add the following error:

There are some problems with your submission: An unexpected error ocurred.

Yeah, vague :P

EDIT: above does not happen when adding a platform to a new game. It only happened (to me) when adding covers for other than the scraped platform