Forums > MobyGames > Unlisted version of "Tetris"

Echidna Boy (569) on 3/1/2010 12:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Hi guys,

I would like to submit the J2ME mobile version of "Tetris" by Jamdat Mobile/EA mobile but am not sure whether it should get its own entry or not.

I generally understand the criteria for submitting games that are ports, remakes, etc. but Tetris has been ported/remade so many times that I am unsure if it deserves its own entry or if it should be added as an additional platform to one of the entries that already exists.

I can just leave it alone if it is too controversial, I just thought it would be cool to add some of the wireless games I've downloaded to the database.

Link: http://www.eamobile.com/mobile-games/tetris

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (102407) on 3/1/2010 3:30 AM · Permalink · Report

As someone who split several versions of Tetris off to their own entries, I would say: unless this is based directly on another specific version of the game, then by all means add it as a new title. Just be sure to describe what separates it from other versions of the game, particularly what game modes are available.

Echidna Boy (569) on 3/1/2010 3:32 AM · Permalink · Report

All right, I'll do my best!

Thanks.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (102407) on 3/29/2010 6:30 AM · Permalink · Report

Since this thread is still open (and I can't get into the approver wiki yay!) I'm posting this here. There are still several splits from the main Tetris entry that need to be done, and I went through and figured out what needs to be split out with what. Looks like it can generally be sorted by looking at what company did the conversion and in what region it was released, which gives a total of five (possibly six) distinct versions that are currently mixed together. The big two are:

• Mirrorsoft (Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, MSX1, ZX Spectrum)
  • Sphere/Spectrum Holobyte (Amiga, Apple IIgs, Atari ST, DOS, Macintosh) These were the two original big releases. Mirrorsoft did the European ones, while Spectrum did the USA ones. Both seem to have been properly licensed from Elorg. There's also the Commodore 64 version which was produced by Mirrorsoft, but seems to be quite different, at least looking at the screenshots on file. Then there's three other releases which definitely need their own entries:
  • Tandy (TRS-80)
  • Philips (CD-i)
  • Vanguard Works (Wonderswan Color) Each of these seems to be a completely independent implementation of the game, and so each should have its own entry. Now, why haven't I just gone and split these myself? Because I'm a lazy bastard. Or more accurately, I don't actually have access to any of these versions to write an adequately specific description for each (or to verify which ones should be linked). Besides, I already split five versions of Tetris off this entry anyway. ;) And so I leave it to those who know better than I do to take care of this. At the very least, someone copy this into the wiki so it gets lost in the proper place. :)

vedder (71218) on 3/29/2010 7:40 AM · Permalink · Report

I might be able to do the CD-i version when I find the time. Since I'm the one who lumped it in there in the first place in a more naive period of Moby contributing.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (102407) on 3/30/2010 12:09 AM · Permalink · Report

I've just filed a new entry and a split request for the Wonderswan version. Its official site is still up and came in quite handy! If you can handle the CD-i version (looks like the video backgrounds are the main draw of that one) then that just leaves the mess of old PC versions. Which is quite an improvement from how it was about six months ago!

vedder (71218) on 3/30/2010 5:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Split request and game entry pending.

vedder (71218) on 4/8/2010 12:34 PM · Permalink · Report

And done!

Игги Друге (46654) on 5/29/2010 2:45 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start djsquarewave wrote--]There's also the Commodore 64 version which was produced by Mirrorsoft, but seems to be quite different, at least looking at the screenshots on file. [/Q --end djsquarewave wrote--]

The first licence for Tetris was sold by Hungary to a British gentleman, who then licenced it to Mirrorsoft and Spectrum Holobyte (and Tengen). Of course, the Hungarians had no right to sell the licence to Elorg's game, hence the transfer of rights to Nintendo and BPS.

Well, the C64 version was obviously made early on in Hungary, probably based directly on the Soviet edition. That was probably the version that was first demonstrated and sold to the British speculator.