Forums > MobyGames > The awfulness of this site is staggering

Echidna Boy (569) on 12/14/2013 4:18 AM · Permalink · Report

My god, what will it take for the lamebrains at GameFly to listen to their fucking customers and revert back to the way that MobyGames was??

Forget the fact that its new interface is downright atrocious and barely navigable, but the goddamn site is broken and doesn't appear to have been touched in months. I've tried several times to contribute new games and the system just plain doesn't work.

No wonder so many people have moved away from this site. And since it doesn't appear that it is going to get any better I am packing up and going elsewhere like everyone else on this site.

There was absolutely no reason to overhaul something that was already perfect. It just shows how corporations are. Once they get their hands on something they need to smear their feces all over it.

Fuck this site. It used to be one of my favorites, but it is now dead and buried. All that work the original people put into it and it all went to waste.

Congratulations to the folks at GameFly for ruining something wonderful and refusing to fix it.

Cavalary (11448) on 12/14/2013 12:27 PM · Permalink · Report

The problem is that we're not their customers. Their target audience is most likely mainly made up of brain-dead zombies who flock to whatever new shiny marketing passes under their noses.

As for the site, was far from perfect and contributors/approvers/admins have been complaining about it for some 5 years before the redesign, but the complaints were about specific issues (pus the fact that it wasn't tended to) that could be fixed one by one without such an overhaul, yet of course not only that they weren't fixed but loads more were added to them, not counting the atrocious look itself (and the fact that it's still not tended to).

Damn right about what the vast majority of corporations do though.

The Game Boy (2063) on 12/14/2013 3:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I agree completely. I spent many hours doing careful scans for many rare computer games (many of which there was no pictures of on the entire internet) and my large collection of game boy games just for this site, to have it all destroyed and wasted. I hated the watermarking they did before but this pales in comparison. Mobygames had it's problems before, and it could have some redesigns, but now it's a joke.

The sucky thing is that there is no good alternative out there - yet. But let's make it clear - the minute someone makes a good alternative I am going to going to do all of my scanning for them in the future and not this place. If this keeps up, in about a year MG will be nothing but a GoDaddy parked domain.

I have to say I agree that when these video game mega-corps buy out useful sites that they can't really make money off of, they destroy them.