Forums > MobyGames > Adjusted cover art scans approval. Am I doing this right?

liqmatrix (724) on 2/25/2019 1:29 PM · Permalink · Report

I submitted a few scans for the C64 game Omega and they got approved rather quickly. Unfortunately me being fairly OCD I noticed some of my scans did not have properly cropped borders. So I adjusted this and submitted the adjusted scans and left a note to the approver to please replace my old scans with these. Is that what I do for this sort of scenario? Just resubmit those scans for approval for that game? Or is there another method to update your older submissions? Thanks.

Simon Carless (1834) on 2/26/2019 12:34 AM · Permalink · Report

If you're resubmitting into the same 'set of covers' and you say clearly 'REPLACEMENT' in your submission notes, that's exactly the right way to do it, yep!

Ideally just make sure you resubmit everything, because otherwise you have to do some fiddly selective approval.

liqmatrix (724) on 2/26/2019 6:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh, so I should resubmit ALL scans? Even the ones that were not adjusted and exactly the same as what I already submitted and got approved? Did not know that.

MAT (240988) on 2/27/2019 12:29 AM · Permalink · Report

No, there's absolutely no point in submitting 100% identical scan as it will only get rejected.

Replacements are done when newly submitted cover is clearly of much better quality than the one on file.

Size doesn't equal quality. So if you try to replace 600dpi one with 900dpi one, that probably won't happen.

We require at least 200dpi scans, but 300-600dpi are preferable. So if there is some old scan on file that is 150dpi, and you submit same quality but 300dpi one, it will get replaced because the one on file is too low res to begin with.

Otherwise, quality of scan is important.

When you scan covers, make sure you select "Magazine Art" or some such option (and if you have "descreen" checkbox, try to select that too). Don't scan them on Normal and if the result is sharp image, then that's a bad scan. To human eyes that may look better, but it's not, and when resized it doesn't do well.

Here's example of my 600dpi scan.

Notice that when you fully zoom in the picture you don't see sharp stuff, but you can see blurred circles from which the image is comprised.

If you get that sort of scan (even if it seems slightly blurry to human eyes, it best preserves color info and best resizes) then you're on the right track. It may depend from scanner to scanner, but nowadays all should be able to do this. I scanned that with the cheapest scanner I could buy in an electronics store some 5 years ago.

liqmatrix (724) on 2/27/2019 2:07 AM · Permalink · Report

I understand how to do quality scans. I screwed up on some of the cropped edges. I will submit the edited scans. Thanks.