Forums > MobyGames > Game rating has been removed?

saturnsailor (4) on 2/11/2020 2:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Hi, I used to be able to rate games using MobyGames unique rating system that allowed you to rate separately the different aspects of a video game. Recently I can't find this feature anymore. Has user rating been permanently removed?

MAT (241141) on 2/11/2020 4:06 PM · Permalink · Report

There was discussion about this on the Bug Board.

They've been removed from the front page, but still exist and you can rate the game or see other ratings when you click on Reviews link on the game page.

Victor Vance (18138) on 2/11/2020 9:29 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MAT wrote--]There was discussion about this on the Bug Board. [/Q --end MAT wrote--]

And it is still goIng on.

saturnsailor (4) on 2/13/2020 3:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MAT wrote--]There was discussion about this on the Bug Board.

They've been removed from the front page, but still exist and you can rate the game or see other ratings when you click on Reviews link on the game page. [/Q --end MAT wrote--]

Thank you, I found it, but it's not very intuitive. It should be more prominent, like next to the title, all ratings in all categories listed separately, not lumped all together either.

lights out party (87194) on 2/11/2020 7:26 PM · Permalink · Report

What the hell? This is the most stupid decision ever.

Cavalary (11448) on 2/12/2020 2:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, we need more voices complaining over here... Though in truth the proper place for the discussion is here, as it was a decision and not a bug as first thought. But seriously, who'd see something like this and assume it was intentional and not a bug?

MK2k (1392) on 2/12/2020 9:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I thought my browser went incompatible as I'm not used to mobygames changing all that much.

Needless to say: please add it back in!

Alianger (44) on 2/12/2020 10:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Bring (sexy) user ratings back.

Thinking a bit more about this, a score average conversion of a variety of opinions ultimately isn't that useful anyway, it just gives a vague idea of what people think without the why. So I'm not that upset about this, I just prefer having it to not having it. When I see the score averages on a game's main page, it tends to get me interested in clicking the reviews page to check those out.

I believe it is the case that whatever isn't on the main page is going to get a lot less traffic from the average user, so if you want more user ratings in general then this is the opposite of what you should be doing. Bring it back to the main page and simplify it to one category and you'll get a lot more.

lights out party (87194) on 2/13/2020 12:28 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Alianger wrote--]I believe it is the case that whatever isn't on the main page is going to get a lot less traffic from the average user, so if you want more user ratings in general then this is the opposite of what you should be doing. Bring it back to the main page and simplify it to one category and you'll get a lot more. [/Q --end Alianger wrote--] I'm not sure it has to be simplified to one category (I like the current system, as long as the ratings are for things which actually are in the game...), but it really should be made more clear that you don't have to rate every category, as that kind of complexity sure can get someone to not rate. Placing "Personal slant" on top (rather than in the middle-bottom as it is now) and putting a "*required" next to it or something should do great, I think.

Alianger (44) on 2/13/2020 10:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah I suppose that would work, though in that case I think it should be described as the average or "holistic" score you'd give the game.

I would also change the wording so that it's not implied that only one category (personal slant) is a personal opinion when they all are.

I currently tend to treat that category as "do you like this kind of game"? more than anything else.

Victor Vance (18138) on 2/13/2020 2:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start lights out party wrote--] I'm not sure it has to be simplified to one category (I like the current system, as long as the ratings are for things which actually are in the game...), but it really should be made more clear that you don't have to rate every category, as that kind of complexity sure can get someone to not rate. Placing "Personal slant" on top (rather than in the middle-bottom as it is now) and putting a "*required" next to it or something should do great, I think. [/Q --end lights out party wrote--]

I agree one hundred percent!

saturnsailor (4) on 2/13/2020 3:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Alianger wrote--]Bring (sexy) user ratings back.

Thinking a bit more about this, a score average conversion of a variety of opinions ultimately isn't that useful anyway, it just gives a vague idea of what people think without the why. So I'm not that upset about this, I just prefer having it to not having it. When I see the score averages on a game's main page, it tends to get me interested in clicking the reviews page to check those out.

I believe it is the case that whatever isn't on the main page is going to get a lot less traffic from the average user, so if you want more user ratings in general then this is the opposite of what you should be doing. Bring it back to the main page and simplify it to one category and you'll get a lot more. [/Q --end Alianger wrote--]

I think it should be more prominent, listed next to the title, all ratings in all categories listed separately, not lumped all together either, unless there is going to be 1 single rating for the game like other sites have it. A rating system is very useful, allows me to keep track of what I thought about the game when it was fresh in my mind.

Alianger (44) on 2/13/2020 7:39 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Another way to expand on them could be to check for when a rating was added and make a graph showing how the overall user ratings progressed over time.

Josephine Chambers on 4/4/2020 8:41 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

spam

lights out party (87194) on 4/13/2020 2:11 PM · Permalink · Report

So is this the way this is going to be handled? Just keep going while acting like we had a "discussion" about it, even though almost everyone was strongly against removing it?

Cavalary (11448) on 4/14/2020 1:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Isn't that how it usually goes?

lights out party (87194) on 4/15/2020 3:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Sadly, yes... Makes you question why you waste your time submitting data to a project like this...

Kate Lindsey on 4/19/2020 10:12 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[spam removed]

Adam H on 5/3/2020 8:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The website owner had a reason for removing them because he didn't think it was productive to share them on a database, but no one really agrees it was a good decision.

However it's his website - so he makes the calls unfortunately and doesn't seem interested in discussing it much with us.

lights out party (87194) on 5/8/2020 8:18 PM · Permalink · Report

So it seems... but it's a bit difficult not to say something rude in response to that.

Deleted (13944) on 5/8/2020 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm surprised this is still be discussed. Personally I agree with his decision but I really don't think it's worth getting into an argument about. It doesn't really matter as Phoenix (the new version of the site) is in development so things are subject to change anyway.

Cavalary (11448) on 5/9/2020 12:53 AM · Permalink · Report

So you're surprised people don't just roll over and accept whatever's thrown at them?

lights out party (87194) on 5/22/2020 10:42 AM · Permalink · Report

Of course you don't when you agree.