Forums > MobyGames > Blurbs gone

Spalls Hurgenson (52) on 2/22/2023 6:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Prior to the site design, most games had a section where box-copy (not cover scans, but the text on the back of the box) or advertising blurbs could be found. This seems to be missing in the redesign. Is it gone or am I just blind? It's a shame if the information is gone, since I found it a great resource when setting up my own game collection (plus, it's just interesting to read what publishers thought as top-selling features ;-)

If its gone... can it be brought back? I mean, you have it in your database already...

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/22/2023 7:45 PM · Permalink · Report

If you visit a game page, the 'Promos' link at the top will lead to a page with promo images, and a link to the ad blurbs, if there are any.

Spalls Hurgenson (52) on 2/22/2023 8:19 PM · Permalink · Report

No, that's not it. That's a feature that was available in the old version of MobyGames too. Those pages contain promo artwork and videos, not box-copy or ad-copy text.

However, I - through the secret art of randomly clicking on things - found what I was looking for. The content is now entitled "official descriptions" and has been moved to a link next to the "Descriptions" section on the Overviews page. (e.g., https://www.mobygames.com/game/851/crusader-no-remorse/adblurbs/). It only shows up for games where there is any actual content (so no box-copy/ad-blurbs, no link shown). Personally, I think a greyed-out non-working link is a better option, since it would indicate an area that needs contribution, but what do I know, I'm no web designer ;-)

Thanks for the assistance, though. Together we eventually got there.