Forums > MobyGames > Question about Bots, Team, Free-for-all

Roedie (5239) on 3/31/2006 9:53 AM · Permalink · Report

I was just wondering whether these multiplayer game modes also apply to (older) titles that can not be played online.

Take for instance NBA Jam Tournament Edition for DOS; this game can be played with up to 4 players on one PC. If for example 3 human players are playing the game and player 1& 2 are team 1 and player 3 is team 2 (with his teammate being controlled by the A.I.), would this qualify as both "Team" and "Bots"? And should this be documented for such a game that can't be played online?

Aaron A. (39) on 3/31/2006 10:16 AM · Permalink · Report

You still have the option for humans though, even though its temporarily an AI ;).

Roedie (5239) on 3/31/2006 4:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Well I admit this wasn't the best example, even though you can turn off the "Player switch" function you still have some control over your A.I. teammate. However when you play the game with two players and both of them are on the same team then this isn't the case, as both opponents are now A.I. controlled. But does that mean they are bots?

Or what about a racing game with split-screen multiplayer for two players? If there are also A.I. drivers taking part in the race is this a free-for-all game with bots?

Roedie (5239) on 4/6/2006 9:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Was hoping someone could answer this.

Sciere (930967) on 4/6/2006 9:32 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'd say no. Otherwise, the FIFA games have "bots" too when it only refers to AI. I've always used bots to refer to FPS games where you can play "bot matches" imitating real multiplayer games, add bots to your team when there are not enough players, or when referring to the skirmish missions in Red Alert for example.

It's a thin line, but I consider it a special "offline" multiplayer mode, mimicking online/multiplayer gameplay, where it is also advertised as such in the game.

Corn Popper (69019) on 4/6/2006 2:57 PM · Permalink · Report

it's more of, if you have control whether they are in the game or not, in a sports game you kindof have to have the other team there

Игги Друге (46653) on 4/13/2006 7:22 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't see these alternatives when entering Amiga games...