Forums > MobyGames > Championship Manager / Football Manager series

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 4/4/2006 8:06 AM · Permalink · Report

I wrote about this issue on the "Contributions" thread, but I guess it slipped through the cracks.The issue was about the Championship Manager series, as I don't think CM5 really belongs to that series. Think if some B class company bought the rights for the title "Sid Meier's Civilization" and produced a greatly inferior and much simpler "Sid Meier's Civilization V" (say, it would be a cheap Red Alert copy). Would this be added to the Civilization series?

I just noticed something funny and would like some clarification. Is it so that the US title always takes precedence at MG? Football Manager 2005 has changed to some funny title overnight. The original name is "Football Manager 2005", not "Worldwide Soccer Manager 2005".

As for the softography of the series, see http://www.sigames.com/softography.php ,

If it feels I overenthust over this, it's worth noting that I have played the different versions of CM more than any other game or series by about a mile. And so has half my friends. CM is just as serious business as Final Fantasy or the Ultima series.

Sciere (930961) on 4/4/2006 8:16 AM · Permalink · Report

The name usually goes along with a license. Ubisoft has fully acquired the rights over the "FarCry" series, even when the original developer, CryTek, is no longer involved. Ubisoft will make more FarCry games, and these belong to the same series, because the name refers to a certain brand / license. The same goes for Championship Manager. Apparently, SI doesn't own the series' name, so it's tied to Eidos, and the 2005/2006 versions are equally part of it.

It is a site policy to use the US Title (if applicable) as the main name at all times, even when the game was not first released in the US.

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 4/4/2006 8:34 AM · Permalink · Report

OK. The problem with that is that if people really use the series thing to find games, they go wrong. People who like the old CM's should buy the FM's or they would probably be disappointed.

As for the title thing, clear enough. I just imagine it might be a bit funny if, say, a Japanese game is published in the US two years after the original release and suddenly the name changes for everyone. I had this happen with FM2005. I got a bit of surprise, "what's this game I'm supposed to own?".

Incindentally, we have had the same discussion at http://www.librarything.com and the real librarians seem to think that the original title of a book is better than the translated English one as it makes more sense historically (and it's also not as anglocentric). The problem at that site is that currently it does not hold the info on what the language the book was originally written in.

As for FarCry, will Ubisoft develop an entirely new game engine for FarCry? CM5 has a new engine while FM2005 and FM2006 are built on CM4's engine. FarCry is slightly different, because, AFAIK, CryTek is not going to create another game set on a tropical island using the FarCry engine.

Sciere (930961) on 4/4/2006 8:42 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

You can't place a label at the CM5 entry that reads "WARNING: This is not the real Championship Manager 5, the original creators have moved elsewhere". We add games according to the title and license, and you are free to add a trivia item, or write a review to clarify the situation. That's as far as it goes. The engine is unrelated.

I do not agree with the policy to use the US Title at all times, but you get used to it, and you can still track games by typing in the original title, so that works excellent.

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 4/4/2006 8:55 AM · Permalink · Report

OK, the title thing is hardly a problem, just has the potential to create some funny situations. FM is probably among the biggest ones as probably about 99,99% of people playing it know it by the original title. If you went to an FM board and used the US title, people would just respond "Huh?". It's different with Japanese games, for instance, as we Westerners usually know them by the translated title (== the majority of gamers do).

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 4/4/2006 11:38 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

There already was a discussion about using US titles as the main title in another thread (can't seem to find it at the moment). Looks like the whole "main title/alternate title"- thing will be dropped at some point in the future, and instead, the title of the user's country (or the next best title[whatever that may be])will be displayed.

Corn Popper (69019) on 4/4/2006 5:50 PM · Permalink · Report

right

Roedie (5239) on 4/6/2006 9:29 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Marko Poutiainen wrote--] Think if some B class company bought the rights for the title "Sid Meier's Civilization" and produced a greatly inferior and much simpler "Sid Meier's Civilization V" (say, it would be a cheap Red Alert copy). Would this be added to the Civilization series? [/Q --end Marko Poutiainen wrote--] Yes, in fact this, more or less, has actually happened already. Call to Power is part of our Civilization game group.

nullnullnull (1463) on 5/4/2006 5:40 PM · Permalink · Report

I mean the same argument could be made that every other Star Trek movies should not be included in the series since they suck.