Forums > Off Topic > Pirated games no longer accepted

Echidna Boy (569) on 11/25/2006 10:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey guys, I was planning on adding my pirated/unlicensed import carts to the database eventually. I added a Brazillian Atari 2600 multi-cart called "16 Super Jogos" and it was accepted into the database for about a month, but it has recently been deleted by one of the administrators with the explanation, "sorry, pirated games are no longer accepted".

Just curious: why aren't pirated games/clones allowed anymore? Is it because there's probably way too many of them?

Depeche Mike (17454) on 11/25/2006 3:19 PM · Permalink · Report

You should really ask this at the mobygames.com board and not here. :)

Zovni (10504) on 11/26/2006 12:16 AM · Permalink · Report

My guess is because those are unlicensed "shovelware" carts. They are about as relevant to the database as my dvds of arcade and nes roms.... (of whom I already own copies and use only for backup purposes.... uhm, yep, that's right )

Riamus (8480) on 11/26/2006 4:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Pirated games aren't really legitimate, so we don't include them. Technically, we never accepted them, but your submission got through and the rejection message was worded incorrectly. We just never had a clear policy on it and after a lot of discussion, a clear policy was designed. Basically, no pirated software is allowed. Unlicensed is one thing... pirating is something else. We know that Brazil only had pirated stuff for a large part of their gaming history, but it still is not accepted. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Indra was here (20750) on 11/26/2006 6:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Dum de dum dum.

Echidna Boy (569) on 11/28/2006 8:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the explanation! It's no inconvenience, I was just curious about the reasoning behind it.