🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > The Temple of Elemental Evil: A Classic Greyhawk Adventure > Troika Patching Nightmare v3.0

Indra was here (20755) on 9/23/2007 6:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just installed the game and loving it, though oddly I don't remember much about it the last time I played it. So after noticing that I can't loot meine enemies for some stupid reason, there we go downloading patch 3.0 which practically makes the game inaccessible. Woohoo! Currently browsing the website of the lovely people at Circle of Eight (the fans who should been payed to make the patch in the first place)

Is there one Troika game in existence that doesn't have fatal bugs in it?

Someone give me a gun to shoot someone. No a machine gun. A really freaking BIG machine gun to shoot me a couple of developers.

P.S. That "unable to loot bodies" bug doesn't seem to be fixed with version 2.0, or do I have to restart the game (again?). Why do I always have problems with these Troika patches? sigh

Atomic Punch! (186) on 10/5/2007 11:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, Troika were brilliant game designers but crap programers, weren't they? The Circle of Eight community is really the only reason TOEE is playable.

St. Martyne (3648) on 10/6/2007 6:02 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zod Wallop wrote--]Yeah, Troika were brilliant game designers but crap programers, weren't they? [/Q --end Zod Wallop wrote--]

My idea is that they weren't. I think one must appreciate the level of complexity of the average post-96 true RPGs. Both Fallouts, BGs, all of Troika games, KoTORs and NWN2 were always victim of bugs. But to create a breathing world full of detail and characters with hundred lines of dialog and supplement it all with a complex skill/feat RPG system is really a daunting task. And to make it bug-proof is nearly impossible.

My point is that the abundance of bugs left in those games should be counterweighted by the complex structure of the game itself. And Troika games deliver in that area more often than not.

I've just started playing ToEE, so I'm not sure about this one yet.

Btw, how many characters should create for a starting party? Are two enough? Will there be any NPC joining in?

Indra was here (20755) on 10/9/2007 7:06 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--] But to create a breathing world full of detail and characters with hundred lines of dialog and supplement it all with a complex skill/feat RPG system is really a daunting task. And to make it bug-proof is nearly impossible.

<hr />

Btw, how many characters should create for a starting party? Are two enough? Will there be any NPC joining in? [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--]

That's why we didn't build 100 story skyscrapers 100 years ago. Don't build more than you can handle.

<hr />

Maximum 5 Players, 3 NPCS. NPCs are abundant but its kinda tricky:
[1] Pay attention to your party alignment...only because if you want a Paladin, that dude doesn't want any evil character following his rightous ass. Might as well dump Pally for a Barbarian.
[2] NPC's are abundant, just make sure you have 1 Player with 18 Charisma doing all the talking, since NPCs can't talk in plot dialogs.
[3] NPC's found in the ToEE usually can only join once (and there are a lot of them there by the way) so carefull who you dismiss from your party.
[4] NPCS found in the inn and some area's, if dismissed will return to their original place (where you found them).
[5] Just to be sure which NPCS are "re-recruitable", dismiss him/her, exit map, re-enter map, if he/she is still at the place where you first recruited them, it's safe.
[6] Having 2 wizards along is a nice way of trading spells via scribe scroll!