🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Shadow Hearts: Covenant > Do I need to play the prequel for this?

—- (1623) on 1/18/2008 3:37 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I just bought this game off the bargain bin for less than 10€.

Since it's a direct sequel, I'm not sure whether I will even understand its whole plot. SH1 seems to be pretty rare and is sold at eBay Germany for around 80€ (!!!), so buying one of those is not an option for me.

Does it even make sense to play this without having played its predecessor?

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/18/2008 6:13 AM · Permalink · Report

you can understand the plot pretty well, in fact some of it might be more of a "wow!" surprise if you haven't played the first two games (koudelka is the first one, for the ps1). however, it's definitely recommended that you play the first three games (i haven't played from the new world yet so no idea on that one). of course if you can't, then playing that one is as good a place to start as any. you'll be missing a few things but you likely won't know it.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 1/18/2008 6:21 AM · Permalink · Report

It is possible to enjoy this game's plot without having played the first one (or Koudelka, which is the real first game in this story arc). However, I strongly recommend playing the first Shadow Hearts, because the second one is a direct continuation of its story. You wouldn't fully understand the events of the second game without knowing anything about the plot of the first.

If you can't afford the first game, I'd suggest at least reading a plot summary of it or something.

—- (1623) on 1/19/2008 12:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the quick replies, both of you.

Sounds like I really want to play its predecessor first. I think I'll start with Koudelka (pretty cheap over here).

And thanks to the currently weak Dollar and strong Euro I could order Shadow Hearts 1 from the US via insured air mail for less than 30€, so that's probably what I'm gonna do. Strange thing that globalisation...

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/19/2008 5:45 AM · Permalink · Report

it's definitely a series that's well worth it. koudelka has a few technical problems that keep it from greatness, but the storyline and setting are, quite frankly, awesome.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 1/19/2008 8:51 AM · Permalink · Report

I find Koudelka one of the most under-rated games of all times. It has magnificent characters and dialogues, is smart and pretty, and has a very cool gameplay system. It might seem confusing in the beginning, what with weapon specialization and all, but in fact it's quite deep and rewarding. Certainly way more interesting than the repetitive systems of most Japanese RPGs.

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/21/2008 11:07 PM · Permalink · Report

i never called it confusing. but weapons breaking, as yahtzee points out in his review of silent hill origins, wasn't a good idea the FIRST time someone thought of it, let alone the billionth. also, battles are needlessly slow since you have to move forward towards the enemy (tho i guess if you're in love w/ ultima this won't bother you, harhar) and the backgrounds in the battles... heck the battle graphics, period, are some of the ugliest ever. don't get me wrong, it's a very good game, almost great if it weren't for the few bad spots i mentioned. definitely worht buying and playing tho.

... no i can't capitalize my sentences.