🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Boiling Point: Road to Hell > Sleeping

BurningStickMan (17916) on 9/5/2011 7:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Since someone brought this game up and said it was great, I've reinstalled it and am trying to play through. Turns out the European 2.0 patch is a little more international than was let on, so my copy is all patched up and doing well!

My only question pertains to the "tiredness" meter on the character stats page. Was this disabled, and if not, what does it affect? I've had this running at full "drop dead tired" for a while now, and he hasn't passed out or died. Just wondering what's supposed to be going on here. He also gets a full tired bar after about 6 in-game hours, which is a bit silly, so that's great if this can be ignored completely.

Also, did anyone have trouble with the rain effects? Game runs pretty smooth at high settings for me, but falls apart with rain effects on. Choppy and unplayable when driving until the rain stops. Wondering if that's just me, or something they didn't optimise (looks like they calculate each individual rain hit and change it from a "falling" sprite to a "splash" sprite when it hits an object. Crazy!)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/6/2011 7:24 AM · Permalink · Report

I only slept when I wanted to advance the time. I don't think sleeping serves any other purpose, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Rain effects? So you do have rain? I just got thunder and no rain in my game (also patched to 2.0). Weird.

It's a really buggy and weird game, but man, you can so lose yourself in it...

BurningStickMan (17916) on 9/6/2011 5:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, there's a setting for "weather effects" in the custom GFX menu. With it off, I get what you get - some haze, thunder, but nothing else. With it on, it tries to draw sprite-based rain as described above. Somewhat works in town or on foot, but it just can't keep up when driving and the framerate tanks.

I've noticed he will yawn when the tiredness bar is nearly full, but that's about it. It's in there with the alcoholism and drug addiction bars, so I guess I just assumed something bad would happen if you let it get out of control.

Or maybe I'm thinking of STALKER? There was some game with sleeping where you were supposed to pass out if you got too tired.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/6/2011 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, I think in Stalker there were repercussions. At least you could die of hunger there. In Boiling Point, I don't think that could happen.

Though eating is by far the best way to restore health. Addiction to painkillers can seriously screw everything up.

Respawning doughnut in the toilet of the bar was my best friend :) It's enough to drive away a bit and then come back to make it appear. I got 20 doughnuts like that one time :)

BurningStickMan (17916) on 9/6/2011 10:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

My biggest issue right now is figuring out who to side with (as it should be!). I'm trying to stick to early missions where you don't negatively affect your rating with other factions, because after my first road ambush (and three blown tires), I learned the value of not making enemies. Couldn't believe they were able to knock down trees to pin me in.

Pretty sure neutrality can't last long though.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/7/2011 2:30 AM · Permalink · Report

No, you absolutely cannot be neutral. Working for any faction will piss off at least one other. It's just that nearly all faction missions involve doing something bad to another faction.

I initially worked for CIA. Easy missions and good money.

Couldn't believe they were able to knock down trees to pin me in.

The mafia, right? Nasty fellows, indeed...

BurningStickMan (17916) on 9/7/2011 4:18 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--] The mafia, right? Nasty fellows, indeed... [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

Guerrillas, actually. Was hoping to stay on the good side of them and the government, since they seem to control the most territory. Ultimately not sure it matters.

Or I could just drive the bus back and forth for 400 pesos a trip :P

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/7/2011 5:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Or I could just drive the bus back and forth for 400 pesos a trip :P

How can you drive the bus?.. I tried talking to the bus station attendant in the first town repeatedly, but all he said was "get lost, gringo". Is some mission needed to complete to get this job?..

BurningStickMan (17916) on 9/7/2011 6:32 AM · Permalink · Report

No idea what would prevent it. No mission to unlock it that I'm aware of. I'm not that far into the game, I have a neutral relationship with Civilians (in case that's it)... not sure of anything special.

The guy in the southern town offered it to me. 250 for a trip somewhere I didn't recognize, and 400 for driving to the northern town. City square, he was in a booth, saw him just as I got out of a taxi. Tried talking to him and got the offer.