🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Final Fantasy XII > Er.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/27/2013 1:57 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Finally got this dang emulator working. Half an hour into the game and I'm not impressed. Well, that's a first. Usually it's no comment, but rarely do I get a negative vibe from a Final Fantasy game.

The battle system seems to be a major turn-off, only because the stupid game doesn't force the line of sight to the direction the character is looking at. I hate it when they do that. Meh, give me Final Fantasy VII ATB any day.

I'm going to love trashing this game.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 3/27/2013 11:22 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--]only because the stupid game doesn't force the line of sight to the direction the character is looking at. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--]

That is a horrible idea that would make the game unplayable.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/28/2013 11:43 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--] [Q2 --start Indra was here wrote--]only because the stupid game doesn't force the line of sight to the direction the character is looking at. [/Q2 --end Indra was here wrote--] That is a horrible idea that would make the game unplayable. [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--] How's that horrible? Screen turns if your character turns. Rotating the camera is still optional. Or at least make screen turning an optional feature.

Donatello (466) on 3/29/2013 1:18 AM · Permalink · Report

Since you're emulating, don't tell me you are playing it on the keyboard?

HA..

HA...

HAAA....

Indra was here (20755) on 3/29/2013 4:26 AM · Permalink · Report

Have gamepad!

Tried the keyboard option, which sucked. Felt like having sex with my left hand. Didn't see that one coming, eh? :p

Lain Crowley (6629) on 4/10/2013 9:12 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--] [Q2 --start Lain Crowley wrote--] [Q3 --start Indra was here wrote--]only because the stupid game doesn't force the line of sight to the direction the character is looking at. [/Q3 --end Indra was here wrote--] That is a horrible idea that would make the game unplayable. [/Q2 --end Lain Crowley wrote--] How's that horrible? Screen turns if your character turns. Rotating the camera is still optional. Or at least make screen turning an optional feature. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--]

Because characters will turn and run off on their own when you have gambits set up properly.

Are you still not up to speed on the whole right-stick-look thing? It's been standard for over a decade now.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/10/2013 9:49 PM · Permalink · Report

For adventuring, sure. During combat, not so much.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/3/2013 7:59 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Apparently they've forgotten how to create a Final Fantasy game. Not that I'm entirely sure what a Final Fantasy should represent. What little I do know about Final Fantasy games from a personal perspective is the various distractions it provides that has nothing to do with the main storyline, which I've found to be strangely addicting.

All I know it I'm trying to understand what am I trying to accomplish gaining an 80 chain attack sequence that doesn't provide me with an adequate reward and why is the story of this particular series dull beyond belief.

Or am I too soon in the game to come up with a final judgement? Just rescued that little girl from the mines and now back in the first city.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/3/2013 1:39 PM · Permalink · Report

I think the story of FFXII is mostly weak and cliche, but that's hardly surprising since it's FF we are talking about. At least the writing is way better than ever before in the series. And the voice acting is decent.

Gameplay-wise, however, this particular Final Fantasy is head and shoulders above its predecessors, and above most Japanese RPGs in general. It's almost KOTOR, except there are still no dialogue choices or meaningful side quests. So it's a dumbed-down KOTOR...which is still better than the standard Japanese RPG fare.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/3/2013 2:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start YID YANG wrote--]At least the writing is way better than ever before in the series. And the voice acting is decent.

Gameplay-wise, however, this particular Final Fantasy is head and shoulders above its predecessors, and above most Japanese RPGs in general. It's almost KOTOR, except there are still no dialogue choices or meaningful side quests. [/Q --end YID YANG wrote--] I'm taking a break right now from playing this game. I read an article/watched a video recently in regards to story telling, that what drives the audience from a psychological level is the sense of anticipation. Something we've probably heard on different levels, but it just dawned on me while playing this game. I'm not particularly excited / looking forward to anything thus far in this game. Story thus far is lazy: "oh, it was my twin brother that killed the king". Well, at least that plot twist wasn't as bad as Dragon Age, which probably the worst storyline in the history of bad story lines.

Yeah, side quests is a bit lacking. So far, with the exception of HUNTS, only two minor side quests (one about a hidden treasure, the other about sisters on sky ships). Hell, when you're comparing Final Fantasy to KOTOR, then I suppose it is bad. Though not dissing KOTOR, by Final Fantasy standards, it should other games comparing itself to Final Fantasy, not the other way around.

Fred VT (25953) on 4/4/2013 3:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Most FF games seem to be lacking in one specific area and excel in the others. This one's main flaw is that the player doesn't bond with (or even care the least for) the characters, maybe with the exception of Balthier... But it is great gameplay-wise, and I wish I could actually play the International Zodiac Job System version...