☕ Research video games with your very own MobyGames mug

Forums > Game Forums > X-Perts > Like a mid-'90s version of the Impossible Mission concept, overall a gem among the final few MD/GEN games.

Andrew Fisher (697) on 11/13/2023 9:15 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Funny, people nowadays say X-Perts was like the worst Genesis game ever, I think it is strange that it seems to be a Saturn game project downgraded to a Genesis project. The backgrounds are pretty crude, the hand-to-hand combat has little to no skill involved (it appears a punch is just as effective as a roundhouse or scissor kick), but I think the strategy of supervising the three commandos, trying to be efficient and not waste precious time, having to juggle primary and secondary missions, getting alerted to a dangerous new development, a new tactic employed by the intruders....I think the excitement of that makes up for the faults. The way the story develops over the game is interesting too. You start to see that the organisation you work for, Janus, isn't particularly trust-worthy (this is hinted at in the backstory) and question your expendability in this mission. It isn't the most satisfying ending, but I did read something about the game being released unfinished. It seemed there should have been a final level or at least a story-scene back at Janus HQ.