🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Heretic > Macintosh

RaVeN RaVeN (32) on 12/14/2010 8:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Are there Official Heretic for Macintosh exist 0.0 ?

leilei (343) on 12/14/2010 10:39 PM · Permalink · Report

No.

Crawly (1417) on 12/15/2010 8:15 AM · Permalink · Report

According to Raven Software's website, there is a Mac version. http://www.ravensoftware.com/gamesdetail.aspx?xmmid=624&xmid=7&xmview=2

Terok Nor (42013) on 12/15/2010 8:28 AM · Permalink · Report

There is a Heretic port for the Mac, but it's based on the public source code release, it's not official. I submitted a correction to have it removed almost two years ago.

vedder (70822) on 12/15/2010 8:45 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The info should be fixed (release date, publisher, ported by, etc.) and clarified, but I don't think it should be removed if the source code has been released publicly with a license that allows it to be re-released in such a form. And since Raven even mentions it on their site I assume this is the case.

Sciere (930490) on 12/15/2010 11:02 AM · Permalink · Report

sent back

Crawly (1417) on 12/15/2010 11:55 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Terok Nor wrote--]There is a Heretic port for the Mac, but it's based on the public source code release, it's not official. I submitted a correction to have it removed almost two years ago. [/Q --end Terok Nor wrote--] Are you there there's no official hardly-known port? It is after all stated on the developer's website.

Heretic II's commercial ports, which weren't developed by Raven Software, aren't mentioned on the same list.

Indra was here (20755) on 12/15/2010 12:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Terok Nor wrote--]There is a Heretic port for the Mac, but it's based on the public source code release, it's not official. I submitted a correction to have it removed almost two years ago. [/Q --end Terok Nor wrote--] Release info comments: Unofficial port.

Useful, for people wanting to find other platforms, though not entirely sure if this is a good idea.

vedder (70822) on 12/15/2010 1:02 PM · Permalink · Report

I think it is a good idea. I know we don't allow this for illegal hacks/roms and such. But there's a difference between unofficial and illegal. If you release the source code of your game and someone ports it to a different platform it's not illegal, but it is unofficial. I see no reason not to add such games.

I find the Windows release of the Legend of Zelda we have on file more questionable in any case.

Terok Nor (42013) on 12/15/2010 1:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Release info comments: Unofficial port.

Useful, for people wanting to find other platforms, though not entirely sure if this is a good idea. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

I'd say a game group like "Games with officially released source code" would be more useful for this.

leilei (343) on 12/15/2010 3:38 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Crawly wrote--]According to Raven Software's website, there is a Mac version. [/Q --end Crawly wrote--]

According to Raven's website, Hexen II is rated M. This is incorrect.

Are you willing to wager on the inaccuracy here? It's possible that the webmaster must have sourced from MobyGames or other inaccurate third-party source, or the website itself with its info is outsourced entirely.

If the website was done truly in-house, surely they'd at least get the ESRB rating right of Hexen II, after all the box is on their damn office shelves.