Forums > Game Forums > SimCity 2000: CD Collection > SimCity 2000 Special Edition

lilliputian (970) on 7/15/2019 5:49 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The Special Edition and the CD Collection were two different releases, and should have two separate pages dedicated to them.

The Special Edition came out after the CD Collection and, besides including the same materials as the CD Collection, it includes additional pre-made cities, new SCURK artwork, as well as video interviews with Will Wright. The box itself had a modified design, including a reflective silver surface. It was released for at least Windows, as well as Macintosh.

Plok (214775) on 7/17/2019 5:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Got any sources for that?

Foxhack (32100) on 7/18/2019 12:40 AM · Permalink · Report

https://www.mobygames.com/game/simcity-2000-cd-collection/cover-art/gameCoverId,150006/

https://www.mobygames.com/game/simcity-2000-cd-collection/cover-art/gameCoverId,168245/

The Special Edition implies the only difference is the Wil Wright interviews. SE says it has over "100 new buildings"; CD Collection says it includes over "100 new buildings and structures included in the future cities graphic set."

I personally don't believe the Wil Wright interview is enough to split the game in two (and I'm all for splitting games depending on their content.)

lilliputian (970) on 7/22/2019 4:56 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The Special Edition does indeed include all of the SCURK artwork included with the CD Collection, but also includes even more artwork not found anywhere else. The physical manual for SCURK was also significantly revised with this version.

As for the Will Wright interview, it's a selling point right on the front of the box.

Not to mention that they are both called two different things.

Regarding sources, I own both versions.

EDIT: It also has bunch of new pre-made cities, though this is not mentioned on the box.

EDIT 2: The CD Collection has a copyright date of 1994, while the Special Edition has a copyright date of 1996, meaning it was also released at least two years later (I do not have a source for specific release dates; would have to trawl some magazines I think).