🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Warzone 2100 > How many games are combined in this entry?

Alaka (106111) on 3/7/2022 8:59 PM · Permalink · Report

There''s the original Pumpkin Studios 99 release, the warzone project freeware release built on the original source code becoming public (why do we have the release dated to thw source code release? Was it really instantaneous?),then there's also the Steam commercial release (is it it's own entity too?)

Iggi (35816) on 3/18/2022 12:12 PM · Permalink · Report

I think the question would be "How many releases are combined in this entry" - I don't think it makes sense to add a new game entry for every new feature if a game is evolving over time. I'd just call that a patch like in the good old days.

What I'm more confused about is the fact that Linux and Mac were added as platforms here at all: Is this because there was an official source code release these ports were derived from? If so, is it enough if a game compiles on those platforms, or do they have to have a dedicated "Download for xxx" button?

(Counter example: In general there would be a lot of games which can be played e.g. on Linux via engine reimplementations, just have a look at https://osgameclones.com/ for a few examples, or look all those adventures playable via ScummVM...)

Cantillon (77156) on 3/18/2022 1:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Iggi wrote--]or do they have to have a dedicated "Download for xxx" button? [/Q --end Iggi wrote--] Yes. I remember that was the condition for a browser Flash game to get Windows as a platform for example.

Alaka (106111) on 3/18/2022 7:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Just the Steam version vs. the original Windows release alone causes me concern. People could download the Steam version thinking they are getting the game they played back in the days and then be surprised when they get a game that plays completely different.

Would like to hear from someone who's played both versions.

Iggi (35816) on 3/19/2022 10:52 AM · Permalink · Report

I admit I don't know the original release of the game - the game had been open sourced for 8 years already when I started playing it in ~2011. However: When I had problems in the campaign, I just opened a walkthrough of the original game, and it still applied. To be sure this still is true today I just started a new game, played it up to the fifth section of the first scenario and compared it to https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/90210-warzone-2100/faqs/20729 - and still couldn't make out any differences.

Of course the game evolved over time, just like any actively maintained game does: Balancing was adjusted, new (multiplayer) maps were added, and the game engine was updated. The Steam release is just a snapshot of the community curated version.

So is it different than the game from back then? Of course, and if it's just the support for high resolutions or different pathfinding algorithms. Is it a game that plays completely different? No - just start the campaign, and you will immediately feel at home again.

Alaka (106111) on 3/19/2022 6:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Well if no one has issues with these fan versions residing in the same game entry, that is fine with me. Thanks for the info.