🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Dark Earth > Errors in XP

Nan Grif on 8/8/2007 4:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Hi and sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I was not sure where to post.

I played this game years ago on W95 and like it so well that I have kept it all these years. I though I would replay it on my XP. I installed the v1.1 patch and the game plays but constantly crashes at the movies and when he runs from one area to the next. I have managed to get as far as the lower city after chasing Davorkan through the underground passage. The game crashes every time after getting the flamethrower from Danrys so I skipped that part. I went to the Kovorkian jail and let the guy out of the cage. I get a new and deadly error: user error manque de messages pour les anims....something about no information for the animation.

Can anyone help me finish this game? It such a cool game and I'm halfway through. Thanks

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/8/2007 8:16 AM · Permalink · Report

It's really an awesome game. Shame you couldn't play it properly. I personally had to resort to Virtual Machine as it seems that no patch available fixes the problem.

Nan Grif on 8/8/2007 1:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey, thanks for replying....really appreciate it.

I will step out on a limb here and look stupid...'what is Virtual Machine?'. Something like DOSbox?

If worst comes to worse, I gave my last W98 machine to the inlaws and they go to Italy in October. If I can wait that long, I can take my game, patch and saves over there and maybe finish the game. I'm pretty sure the 'user error no messages for anim' is a fatal one. I found someone with the same problem on a French site with no fix. In the back of my memory I seem to remember having this same problem the first time I played it and not being able to get the flamethrower from Danrys either. Perhaps I can just skip both of these parts and finish it?

Thanks

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/15/2007 8:23 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Nan Grif wrote--]Hey, thanks for replying....really appreciate it.

I will step out on a limb here and look stupid...'what is Virtual Machine?'. Something like DOSbox?

[/Q --end Nan Grif wrote--]

Yes, pretty much. But unlike DosBOX which emulates a PC with DOS installed, virtual machine allows you to emulate a PC with whatever OS you need. Needless to say you will need a working version of Win95 or Win98 to install it under the Virtual PC environment.

Here's Microsoft Virtual PC software: link