🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Titanic: Adventure Out of Time > A classic!

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/25/2009 3:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Sorry for not posting it in the journal thread. But this great discovery of mine is far too important to be buried under the long list of posts quite trivial in comparison.

Having recognized a fellow journeyman in our newcomer Agent 5 I followed his profile to lead me to another of his favourites, a game entitled Titanic: Adventure out of Time. I hadn't heard about it then, so I decided to check it out. Let me tell you, it's a real deal! I haven't had such fun with adventure in a long time. Thanks, man!

The only words of praise that can do it enough justice are these - a naval version of Last Express. Indeed, the game is extraordinary similar to Mechner's last masterpiece. Both are carefully researched adventures in a world famous transport, both taking place around the start of the century, both involving a set of fantastically detailed characters of various countries, ideologies and backgrounds, both involving a plot full of twists (very many of them in Titanic!), spies and conspiracies that fate of the world depends on. They're even both dressed in very inventive technological packages, something I deeply miss in adventures of today.

And while Last Express does win out by being a more slicker and classy experience (cheesy accents in Titanic versus native speakers in Express), Titanic does still have a few aces up its sleeve. It's a definition of non-linear, with many puzzles that can be solved in a variety of ways and different order and , of course, boasting a set of distinct endings, that really take your playstyle into account.

Two thumbs up! If you're in love with the nineties adventures as much as me and my newfound friend Agent 5 here, seek this one up. Apparently it sold very well, so I'm quite sorry if I'm trying to present a very well-known game, as a discovery of mine.

Cyberflix is long since defunct, so it's technically abandonware, if you catch my drift. ;-)

PS. And, please, a message to approvers, remove the Interactive Movie theme. The game's not an interactive movie in the least. Also the screenshots are quite funny: some of them miss the elements of the HUD, while the other is sporting a cheerful logo of a HyperSnap trial version.

J. P. Gray (115) on 9/21/2009 6:58 AM · Permalink · Report

I'll have to check this one out. Looks good!

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/21/2009 7:21 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm gonna try this one out.

Zeppin (8408) on 9/21/2009 10:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I think I should check the Game forums more often! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the game so much, it's a title that sits high on my list. I also tend to find myself comparing it to The Last Express and I'm glad to find that I'm not wholly mistaken in that impression. It's disappointing that Cyberflix eventually closed its doors, as I found it to be an excellent studio that was only improving with time. If you have a chance you might also try their other adventure releases Dust: A Tale of the Wired West, which is rather similar to Titanic in style, and RedJack: Revenge of the Brethren. They're not quite as timeless but enjoyable none the less.