🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Overclocked: A History of Violence > Real-time 3D?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/17/2008 3:01 PM · Permalink · Report

I forgot where we had this discussion about 2D and 3D, in which Drunken Irishman talked about new adventure games with pre-rendered graphics, and I said that I don't want to play them because they are outdated. And I vaguely remember that someone mentioned "Overclocked" as yet another example of it.

Yet looking at the new "Overclocked" screeshots here reveal that the graphics are real-time 3D. Are they? Or do me eyes betray me?

Sciere (930490) on 5/17/2008 3:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, it's a mixture of both I believe. Models are 3D, lots of objects in the environment too, but I don't think everything uses a real-time model, just certain objects against rendered backgrounds. There is a lot of animation, so you can't always tell. Cut-scenes are glorious pre-renders and looks ten times as good as the actual game.

Sciere (930490) on 5/17/2008 3:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wait, let's quote the main developer himself:

We use prerendered graphics and 3D-Characters. We have built in a special technology that allows us to to animate the entire screen in different depths, with loops as long as we like. Also, I think we're the first studio that uses pre-rendered camera moves with real-time moving characters displayed in them. A lot of voodoo was needed to implement this, but it works — and it looks great. We also have real-time facial animation, mirror effects, weather and particle effects — one could say, it's a 2.75 D engine.

Lots of nice things indeed, but some awful animation as well. People staring in the distance, the bartender pouring air into David's glass - David clumsily drinking invisible liquid. I guess it's just an awful lot of work to animate and model such details.

St. Martyne (3648) on 5/17/2008 3:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, it confused me as well. That's why I brought it up in other thread.

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]Also, I think we're the first studio that uses pre-rendered camera moves with real-time moving characters displayed in them. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

I think Square has done something very similar with FFVII-FFIX. The background are running a prerendered animation while the virtual camera moves around real-time 3D character models. But that's only during cutscenes and dialog close-ups, and unlike FF games you can't move while the background is being animated

So, only characters and objects they interact with are 3D. Everything else is pre-rendered 2D. As for other features, they're nothing we haven't seen before.

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/17/2008 5:53 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]I forgot where we had this discussion about 2D and 3D, in which Drunken Irishman talked about new adventure games with pre-rendered graphics, and I said that I don't want to play them because they are outdated.[/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--] I thought you said you didn't want to play them because you're narrow-minded?