🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > King's Bounty: The Legend > Steampunk?

Indra was here (20755) on 11/20/2010 10:54 PM · Permalink · Report

I must've slept through a whole map if this game qualifies as steampunk.

Kabushi (261206) on 11/20/2010 11:08 PM · Permalink · Report

The dwarf world?

Indra was here (20755) on 11/20/2010 11:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kabushi wrote--]The dwarf world? [/Q --end Kabushi wrote--]A bit pushing it, no? Considering now, practically every game featuring dwarves have some form of crank-and-gear technology involved.

Besides, the primary requirement for a steampunk game is... steam power. No steam going in here. Except for that one train that goes back and forth on two maps only. Hardly qualifies as a major "steampunk" nomination. Has a submarine too, though doubt you'd want that to qualify in a submarine game group. :p

Simply put...not steampunky enough. Though that's just me.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/21/2010 7:16 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I don't know about this game but according to our game group description steam is not a primary requirement:"Modern technology as depicted using an earlier form of technology." So a game with only electrical stuff would also qualify.

A said, I never played the game. But generally I would say that not the whole game needs to feature steampunk elements, one major area is enough.

Crawly (1417) on 11/21/2010 8:32 AM · Permalink · Report

It's not the only game that doesn't really seem to belong to the group.

I'm not sure what Warcraft, Dreamfall, Victoria, and a few others are doing there.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/21/2010 8:49 AM · Permalink · Report

As far as I remember: In Arcadia (the magical Middle Age world) the Azaris brought steampunk technology with them.

vedder (70822) on 11/21/2010 10:38 AM · Permalink · Report

In WarCraft the dwarves have steam tanks, rifles and other anachronistic artifacts.

Indra was here (20755) on 11/21/2010 1:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Wonders if dwarves now are identified with steampunk. Though I would say that it feels somewhat wrong, if someone is actually looking for a "steampunk game" and ends up with warcraft.

I'd like to do a revise. Any objections?

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/21/2010 2:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Only dwarves in a fantasy scenario which use advanced technology. Nobody tried to add Dragon Age: Origins or The Witcher in the Steampunk group.

If I find one game questionable, than Morrowind. Yes, you fight a few robots in dwarven ruins, but in comparison to the rest of the game this is practically nothing... (Of course it has been many years since I played it, hope I didn't forget something important)

vedder (70822) on 11/21/2010 4:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]Wonders if dwarves now are identified with steampunk. Though I would say that it feels somewhat wrong, if someone is actually looking for a "steampunk game" and ends up with warcraft.

I'd like to do a revise. Any objections? [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]

I don't see the need. People looking for more 'traditional' Steampunk settings can judge for themselves from the screenshots of these games.

Crawly (1417) on 11/21/2010 7:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--] [Q2 --start Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]Wonders if dwarves now are identified with steampunk. Though I would say that it feels somewhat wrong, if someone is actually looking for a "steampunk game" and ends up with warcraft.

I'd like to do a revise. Any objections? [/Q2 --end Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]

I don't see the need. People looking for more 'traditional' Steampunk settings can judge for themselves from the screenshots of these games. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] I think the definition of "steampunk games" should be a bit more than "games that include some steampunk elements".

Otherwise, the group might be a bit less useful for users searching for steampunk-themed games (especially considering the current size of the group).

Indra was here (20755) on 11/21/2010 8:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Aye.

Casual gamers would hardly care in regard to the diverse content a game may present itself nor seek to indulge oneself in such an endeavor to seek it. A fan would no doubt be disgruntled that such an attempt in research would result in such an undignified mixture.

vedder (70822) on 11/21/2010 9:09 PM · Permalink · Report

What if I want to see a list of games that feature steampunk elements?

It's easier to mentally cross out the few entries in that list that aren't 100% Wells/Verne inspired than to go through the entire database to try and find games that feature elements of it but don't focus on it.

Indra was here (20755) on 11/22/2010 8:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Hardly. I'm doing this for the fans of every theme/game group/genre. Gamers who exactly know what they want and we should help them get it with surgical precision. Someone who wants to see games featuring steampunk elements has yet to figure out what type of game he/she is looking for.

Remind me again in 5 years when group consists of 500 games, including games with only 1 or 2 levels of dwarves using steam-powered shaving tools. Which by then it'll be too messy to categorize, hybrids all over the place, and we'll wonder why no one bothered to clean this up in the first place.

Hmm. Sounds familiar. :p

vedder (70822) on 11/22/2010 9:17 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I strongly disagree with removing games from this group simply because they have a fantasy basis.

Also, people who know what they want don't need the game group, because they already know what they want. :)

Indra was here (20755) on 11/22/2010 11:50 AM · Permalink · Report

Eh? Don't recall mentioning anything regarding removal of fantasy-themes. Only specifically in regard to "not being steampunky enough".

Though personally, I would recommend a separation between "Steampunk games" and "games with steampunk". Not entirely a popular approach, but it would be more precise to fulfill the needs of both interest groups.

P.S. Diablo 3? Egad.

Crawly (1417) on 11/22/2010 11:47 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]What if I want to see a list of games that feature steampunk elements?

It's easier to mentally cross out the few entries in that list that aren't 100% Wells/Verne inspired than to go through the entire database to try and find games that feature elements of it but don't focus on it. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] I assume that the group would be used mostly by gamers who seek steampunk-themed games to play, rather than those who seek games with some steampunk elements, probably for personal research. I personally believe the priority should be given to group #1.

If you think there should be a group of games which only include some steampunk elements in the database, I think it should be a separate one.

vedder (70822) on 11/22/2010 12:24 PM · Permalink · Report

I think the most elegant solution here would be to have a "Victorian" game group and then traditional steampunk can be easily identified by looking at games that appear both in the steampunk and Victorian groups.

Crawly (1417) on 11/22/2010 7:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]I think the most elegant solution here would be to have a "Victorian" game group and then traditional steampunk can be easily identified by looking at games that appear both in the steampunk and Victorian groups. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Steampunk-themed games are not necessarily set in the Victorian era (see Thief). Regardless, I'm also not sure visitors searching for Steampunk games would naturally turn to such a group.

vedder (70822) on 11/22/2010 8:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Please explain to me the differences between Thief and World of WarCraft when it comes to Steampunk.

Crawly (1417) on 11/23/2010 9:55 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Please explain to me the differences between Thief and World of WarCraft when it comes to Steampunk. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] I'm not that sure about World of Warcraft, since I don't really have any experience with the actual game, I was mainly referring to Warcraft II, which I don't think belongs in the group just because it includes airships.

But in any case, I guess the main difference is that Thief is set in a full steampunk setting, while Warcraft only has, as far as I understand from this thread, a steampunk-themed race/region.

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/23/2010 10:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Crawly wrote--] But in any case, I guess the main difference is that Thief is set in a full steampunk setting, while Warcraft only has, as far as I understand from this thread, a steampunk-themed race/region. [/Q --end Crawly wrote--]

I would think that introducing oil as a major resource to gather is a major push towards steampunk setting. I don't think I would call Warcraft 3 a steampunk game. But WC2? Definetely.

I agree with vedder, it should be decided on a case by case basis. King's Bounty? Eh... Hard to say. But I clearly see why someone would consider steampunk element to have a significan presence in it.

vedder (70822) on 11/24/2010 9:24 AM · Permalink · Report

If this isn't steampunk I don't know what is.

WarCraft III hardly has less elements, with flying machines, siege engines, Zeppelins and Shredders (giant steam powered robots). Apart from the Goblin laboratory and Workshop there are little Steampunk-ish buildings though.

Crawly (1417) on 11/27/2010 5:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Alright, I can see how these games may be considered Steampunk games, although I still see a big difference in the atmosphere between Warcraft and more "typical" Steampunk games (Arcanum, Skies of Arcadia, Torchlight).

In any case, I still think there should be a separation between "games with some Steampunk elements" and "Steampunk games", the only question is where does one put the line.