☕ Drink your coffee or tea with your very own MobyGames mug

Forums > Game Forums > Magic Carpet > Missing levels on all platforms

Arend v. Reinersdorff (1) on 8/23/2014 6:54 AM · Permalink · Report

The Trivia page says that levels 9, 18, 29, 34 and 40 are missing for SEGA Saturn only. Actually they are missing on all platforms. I checked this for DOS with the original Magic Carpet and Magic Carpet Plus.

I tried to edit the Trivia page but the edit is pending for approval for three weeks now.

Alaka (106427) on 8/23/2014 9:14 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

This claims those levels are intact on the PC and PlayStation versions of the game though so maybe not all platforms are missing the levels then.

Patrick Bregger (302369) on 8/23/2014 11:52 AM · Permalink · Report

According to this (presumably) old fanpage, said levels were cut from the DOS version prior to release. Also this post on GOG forums claims to have tested it with the level select cheat.

By the way, according to Wikipedia the console versions include the add-on content. Maybe that is where the confusion comes from.

Alaka (106427) on 8/23/2014 9:33 PM · Permalink · Report

PSX version review

Excerpt: Levels: People bitching about the lenght/replay value of Playstation games, take note: there are at least 45 different levels listed in the manual, and they hint at hidden worlds. The back of the box says 70 different worlds. So there's a lot here to explore.

From this it seems there are 45 levels mentioned in the manual. Both the PSX and Saturn versions seem to include the Hidden Worlds expansion. So that means the PSX and Saturn version should be moved here, right?

Arend v. Reinersdorff (1) on 8/26/2014 6:36 AM · Permalink · Report

I can only test the PC version, so theoretically these levels might be present on the PlayStation version. But I strongly suspect that they are missing in all versions.

The PC manual lists 50 worlds: http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.637 Of course the manuals for the other platforms might be different.

eXo (346) on 8/26/2014 7:23 PM · Permalink · Report

how can you suspect they are missing from all versions without actually testing each one? Honest question.

Arend v. Reinersdorff (1) on 8/27/2014 6:27 AM · Permalink · Report

The levels are missing from the PC version. And according from Mobygames they are also missing from the SEGA Saturn version. I think it unlikely that the levels only exist in the PlayStation version.

Terok Nor (42148) on 8/27/2014 7:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I have just tested the PS and Saturn versions. Both include a cheat mode that has a level select option. Both versions have 75 levels available for selection. So to me it looks like both versions have the full 50 levels (including 5 that were cut from the PC version) plus the Hidden Worlds.

Alaka (106427) on 8/27/2014 8:26 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That makes sense as the Hidden Worlds expansion claims 35 worlds with 25 of them being for single player. So that means the PlayStation, PlayStation 3, PSP, and Saturn versions need to be moved to a different game entry. I'd seen the revised trivia and it can stay as written for the most part, however these platform should be moved first though.

Arend v. Reinersdorff (1) on 8/28/2014 6:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Maybe you could try if level 9 is really playable?

1) Start with levels 8, 9 and 10 and see if they are really different levels. (If you start with level 9 in the PC version, it actually jumps to level 10).

2) After finishing the levels, what is the level name on the top of the "statistics page"? Expected would be: 8. Gillah 9. Kutoor 10. Rannaxior (I don't know if the cheat for finishing a level works for the PS and Saturn versions)

3) Could you post a screenshot of level 9? I would be very curious. Not sure if that's possible though.

Alaka (106427) on 8/28/2014 8:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Okay, I tested out the Playstation version and it does appear level 9 does not exist. If you select 9 with the cheat it brings you to level 10. Also, after beating level 50 the game has a message signifying that you are entering the hidden worlds. So the game is basically 45 levels of Magic Carpet and 25 levels of Hidden Worlds. So it does indeed appear those 5 levels were never in a released version of the game.