🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Privateer 2: The Darkening > Will editing money make you skip side quests?

Kreshna Aryaguna on 8/15/2012 9:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Well I've been replaying Privateer 2: The Darkening again (didn't finish my first run due to hard disk crash), and I've been trying to edit my money. [url=http://dlh.net/cheats_3751g.html]This guide[/url] says that the amount of money is stored twice in a savegame file (in two locations), but I discovered that editing one location is enough to give you the money you want. Once you save your game again, the money's hexadecimal value in the second location will be automatically updated.

However, I found something weird: when I changed the money's hexadecimal value in the first location, then loaded my game, I soon got the Melissa Banks side-quest.

Then I quit game without saving, changed the money's hexadecimal value in the second location (to the same amount I did in the first location), then I loaded the game, and I did not get the Melissa Banks side-quest.

First I thought it was a fluke. But then I restored my savegame file from backup, changed only the money's hexadecimal value at the first location, and again, I got the Melissa Banks side-quest. But every time I changed the money's hexadecimal value in both locations, I didn't get the Melissa Banks side-quest.

Maybe it has something to do with the difficulty level? You see, [url=http://dlh.net/cheats_3751g.html]this page[/url] says that your net worth (money, ship, equipments, etc) is tied to the game's difficulty level. Thus, I have the following suspicions:

(1) the second location of the money's hex value is for the purpose of determining net worth, and in turn, difficulty level. This suspicion comes from the fact that I don't need to edit the hex value in both locations to set the money; editing first location is sufficient to get the money.

(2) side-quests are tied to difficulty level. See, as the player progressed through the game, difficulty level increases as the player's net worth increases, and certain side-quests only appears at certain difficulty level.

So if suspicion number two is correct, then editing your money will make you skip certain side quest, because it will skip you to a certain difficulty level while bypassing lower difficulty levels, thus, bypassing certain side-quests as well.

I do hope I'm wrong though.

But anyone experienced with this? Will edit your money make you skip certain side-quests?