🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 > I think I''ve found religion

Indra was here (20755) on 4/20/2010 3:38 PM · Permalink · Report

I knew I'd eat my words sooner or later. Never in my gaming experience have I repeated saying "oh, my god" every few seconds. The installation was longer than my patience with this game. At least know I know what happens when you combine the Sims graphics with a war simulation. :p

Hell, Peter Stormare, Andrew Divoff, and Tim Curry just killed their acting career.

Being a former C&C fanboi (until Generals) I am overwhealmed by quality this game has to offer. Did any C&C fans even remotely enjoy this?

BurningStickMan (17916) on 4/20/2010 5:53 PM · Permalink · Report

I bought it pretty much entirely to watch Tim Curry, Peter Stomare, Jonathan Pryce and J.K. Simmons devour every inch of the set. So, no, I can't really say I was disappointed.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/20/2010 6:01 PM · Permalink · Report

You enjoyed their acting? Seriously. Dude, that was seriously one the worst displays of acting ever.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 4/20/2010 7:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Have you not heard the phrase "chewing the scenery"?

They overacted. Badly. And that's exactly the kind of camp I paid for! In retrospect, I suppose I could have simply watched clips on Youtube, but at least playing the game showed me there was no need to buy C&C4. And I got it cheap.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 4/20/2010 8:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Not that I've played them but aren't over-the-top cutscenes and intentional overacting the whole point of the Red Alert series?

BurningStickMan (17916) on 4/20/2010 8:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yes. There's a whole string of games in the middle of the release timeline that I haven't played, but as I understand it, Red Alert has always been more comic-book and intentionally campy.

The Tiberium series (with Kane), meanwhile, takes itself more seriously.

Foxhack (32100) on 4/20/2010 10:08 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dewa Indra? wrote--]You enjoyed their acting? Seriously. Dude, that was seriously one the worst displays of acting ever. [/Q --end Dewa Indra? wrote--]Then you obviously don't know that acting badly on purpose, like they did, is a skill.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/21/2010 3:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Bad acting is a skill? You should see witnesses in litigation trials. All bloody naturals when it comes to bad acting. :p

I honestly do not see the entertainment value of this, nor sense of it. Unless it is a parody or comedy of some sorts. Must be a cultural thing.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/21/2010 3:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Unless it is a parody or comedy of some sorts.

You can say that it's something like a parody, yes. Intentionally bad acting is a kind of humor. Certainly not for everyone, but humor nevertheless.

I mean, nobody would expect you to take a C&C story seriously. So they added this so-called "campy" element to emphasize that it is, indeed, not serious.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/21/2010 3:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]I mean, nobody would expect you to take a C&C story seriously. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] ?

I take all my strategy games seriously. There's a reason why they call it strategy games. :p Even more so since the majority of C&C displayed some serious acting in the past. I feel like a Tolkien fan playing a LoTR game and then faced with this kind of "acting", a tad insulting really.

Foxhack (32100) on 4/21/2010 4:18 PM · Permalink · Report

By "you" he meant players in general.

Part of the charm of the C&C games was the intentionally hammy acting, or so people say, I suck at the games so I can't see the cutscenes.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 4/21/2010 4:29 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dewa Indra? wrote--]Bad acting is a skill? [/Q --end Dewa Indra? wrote--]

Overacting apparently is. William Shatner and Jack Palance have built careers on it.

Donatello (466) on 4/22/2010 5:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start BurningStickMan wrote--] [Q2 --start Dewa Indra? wrote--]Bad acting is a skill? [/Q2 --end Dewa Indra? wrote--]

Overacting apparently is. William Shatner and Jack Palance have built careers on it. [/Q --end BurningStickMan wrote--]

I'M CAPTAIN KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRK!

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/22/2010 11:02 PM · Permalink · Report

KHAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!! 8)

BurningStickMan (17916) on 4/22/2010 11:27 PM · Permalink · Report

And for ol' Jack...

You.... are my number one guy!