🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > X-COM: Terror from the Deep > Steam powered!?

Xoleras (66141) on 7/29/2007 12:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Is the Steam version still this DOS game here or is there a Windows version available?

The reason I'm asking is that I find it odd that Valve would sell a 12 year old game which is barely running on most modern systems, on Windows on it's own without sound (wrong IRQ etc.), only using DOSBox and then still way too fast (even after decreasing CPU power there). On the other hand, Steam isn't really a DOS application either.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/29/2007 12:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The collection released by Hasbro in 1999 had Windows executables for every game. Its 100% because I owned it.

Judging from description Windows versions were already available in this rerelease as well.

Xoleras (66141) on 7/29/2007 3:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, I hope this isn't as Windows as X-COM: Apocalypse, as there the only Windows-based part was the installer, the game was still DOS-based.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/29/2007 3:03 PM · Permalink · Report

No, no. Complete 32bit Windows executables. The only issue I had with the first two games is that music is too quiet. Other than that, works like charm. Speed, sounds, controls, everything.

Xoleras (66141) on 8/15/2007 6:21 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Okay, bought, verified and platform added :-)

Working like a charm? Not directly. Started and got a "out of range" from the monitor. Well switching to desktop and back fixed that. Otherwise, it's way better then the DOS version using DOSBox. :)

xroox (3895) on 8/17/2007 2:30 AM · Permalink · Report

How much does the game cost via Steam?