🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Gears of War: Judgment > Hong Kong covers with removed flag

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 7/18/2014 2:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Just wondering why the UK tag from my covers (http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/gears-of-war-judgment/cover-art/gameCoverId,285720/) were removed?

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 7/18/2014 3:04 PM · Permalink · Report

My guess would be "For use only with Xbox 360 systems with 'NTSC-J' designation".

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 7/18/2014 4:40 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]My guess would be "For use only with Xbox 360 systems with 'NTSC-J' designation". [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

Despite that, works fine on my UK PAL Xbox 360.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 7/18/2014 5:45 PM · Permalink · Report

It is still a pretty conclusive statement which region it was officially released in.

Fred VT (25953) on 7/18/2014 6:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Is the X360 region locked? (I don't know anything about that one XD)

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 7/18/2014 7:05 PM · Permalink · Report

I think it is region locked but publishers can choose to release a game region free.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 7/20/2014 12:52 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]I think it is region locked but publishers can choose to release a game region free. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

Yes, but the other way 'round. The 360 is region free by default, but the publisher can choose to include region locking. Only a handful of western 360 games are region locked, but nearly all JP games are.

The PS3 is the same way, but there's only two games that turned the region locking on: the North American Persona 4 Arena, and a version of the Uncharted 2 demo that was removed and replaced with a region free version.

Fred VT (25953) on 7/18/2014 6:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Maybe the disc is not the one that originally came in this package? I can't tell since there is no scan of it on-file. Anyhow, the play-asia page states "Works on all systems sold worldwide." According to this, it would be a region-free NTSC-J game.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 7/18/2014 8:48 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Fred VT wrote--]Maybe the disc is not the one that originally came in this package? I can't tell since there is no scan of it on-file. Anyhow, the play-asia page states "Works on all systems sold worldwide." According to this, it would be a region-free NTSC-J game. [/Q --end Fred VT wrote--]

No, it's my scans, It was brand new and it matches with the case (same translations and NTSC-J LOGO).

Would of added it, but the only working scanner I have access to has grooves in the scanner cover that can't be avoided whilst scanning something round like a CD.

Fred VT (25953) on 7/18/2014 3:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't know who changed it, but I don't think it should have been there in the first place. This is obviously an 'Asia' release, which are normally released in Hong Kong, Singapore & Macao. The only way it would be available in the UK is by importing it.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 7/18/2014 4:39 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Fred VT wrote--]I don't know who changed it, but I don't think it should have been there in the first place. This is obviously an 'Asia' release, which are normally released in Hong Kong, Singapore & Macao. The only way it would be available in the UK is by importing it. [/Q --end Fred VT wrote--]

My mate got it as a replacement for me via amazon. I assume they got it imported then.

Sciere (930490) on 7/18/2014 9:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I entered an approval comment:

You can't get a game native to the UK market with Chinese on the back.

Publishers decide on region restrictions for 360 games.