🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Star Wars: TIE Fighter - Collector's CD-ROM > Dazed and confused.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 3/15/2009 9:23 AM · Permalink · Report

So there's three versions of the Collector's edition of this game as far as I can see...

• 1. The first release for DOS (1995).
  • 2. The one included in the X-Wing Collector Series (1998)...
  • and 3. a Windows re-release of the '95 DOS version (2001) OR the single disc from the '98 Collector Series. Cupola questions:
  • The screenshots on the archived box image of the third release show the same graphics as the version from '95. Went LA just the cheap route for the box or is this indeed the DOS version ported to Windows without the "enhancements" of the '98 release?
  • Has/had this 2001 re-release serious Win XP compatibility issues?
  • Haven't searched intensely, but MG is the only page so far where I found a listing of this edition. Any info on rarity? TIA Long live the mice.

Terok Nor (42014) on 3/15/2009 10:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Where do we have a box scan of the third release? I can't find it.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 3/15/2009 11:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Filed at the bottom under "DOS and Windows".

Also! The corresponding entry:

Star Wars: TIE Fighter (Collector's CD-ROM)
    DOS Front Cover

Published by
    LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC
    Developed by
    Totally Games, Inc.
    Released

Also For
    DOS, Macintosh | Combined View

Terok Nor (42014) on 3/15/2009 12:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah, that one. That's clearly mislabeled. A "runs under Windows 95" sticker doesn't make it a native Windows release. That's just the old DOS version.

So the question is whether this 2001 release exists at all, I think.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 3/15/2009 4:43 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I cannot find my disk for TIE Fighter, but I can confirm that X-Wing had a standalone release of the updated, 3D accelerated version from the X-Wing Collector's Series.

Released in 2000, comes in a jewel case, includes the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter "Flight School" demo. Apparently this cover is not on file, so I will take care of that.

The cover says "X-Wing" but has a Win95/98 tag on it. The CD says "X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM." So who knows what to actually call it...

Though I can't find TIE Fighter, this version of X-Wing pretty much proves its existence. If they bothered for X-Wing, it completely stands to reason they would do the same for TIE Fighter in 2001.

The confusion of course, is that it shares the name with the "talkie" CD DOS release. Looks like some entries may need to be split or merged.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 3/15/2009 10:08 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Just Games Retro wrote--]The cover says "X-Wing" but has a Win95/98 tag on it. The CD says "X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM." So who knows what to actually call it... [/Q --end Just Games Retro wrote--] Yes... I also came across the '98 TFCCD versions released in jewel cases, as cover mounts or in paper sleeves. So it's only mislabeled, as I doubt LA bothered to release a CIB TIE Fighter CD in 2001, ergo the German edition needs to be filed under DOS as it's not a dedicated Win 95 article. Thanks guys.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 3/22/2009 10:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Indra wrote in General Hints/Tips - DOS re: Jedi Knight on Jul 25, 2003
    The highest rank in TIE Fighter is the Jedi Knight. This rank can only be obtained in the ending battle if all of your wingmen survive the mission (as if completing the mission itself without being blown to smithereens isn't hard enough...)

I assume you talk about the mission where you and three buddies including Vader are rushing in with TIE Defenders to save old sack Palpatine from being abducted (a.k.a. the end of TIE Fighter, i.e. Battle 7, Mission 5; not Battle 13 , Mission 8). I ask because a) this hint is filed in the entry for the Collector's CD-ROM, b) I've found no source to support this claim, but admittedly searched only superficially, c) you're not a member of the Rebel Alliance, and d) shouldn't this goal to be fairly easy to achieve as you fly the uber starfighter and can order your wingmen to call it day? Also, has, existence provided, any MobGamer achieved this rank on the hard difficulty setting?

Indra was here (20755) on 3/23/2009 6:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Can't confirm it either. A buddy told me about that when I (and MobyGames) was still young. Now I would WIP it back to myself, which myself would later abandon the submission. :p

I suggest sending in a correction asking for its removal with my blessings.