🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny > Was this game really released for the PC8801?

Lifeinsteps (1) on 11/1/2022 12:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Thread topic says it all: I was looking around at the list of PC88 games and came across this one. It seems multiple sources list it as released for the PC88 but I can't seem to find any evidence that it has been. No Youtube let's plays, no evidence of it ever being sold (except one site without pictures that lists it), no mention of it on the Japanese web that I can find. Just lots of mentions of it existing in wiki type articles.

I have to wonder if maybe this was just a clerical error that was made somewhere along the line and perpetuated. Can anyone find any evidence this game was ever really released for PC88? Based on the graphics and such, it seems like it would have had to have been a significant down-port to have existed.

Infernos (44221) on 11/1/2022 1:59 PM · Permalink · Report

It's listed on PC-88 database at Gamepress; release date - July 1990. You can see the packaging at Aucfree. On the front cover it mentions PC88VA - the most graphically capable model in the PC-8800 computer line so if it uses the V3 graphics mode, I don't think it's a "down-port" at all.

Morpheus Kitami (109) on 11/2/2022 4:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Based on my own experience with this kind of thing, those factors aren't unusual. Releases on Japanese computers haven't been preserved to nearly the same degree as western computers or consoles, so it isn't unusual for one version of a game released on many platforms to not be on the internet. For instance, I know that there are several missing versions of the Japanese ports of Scott Adams adventure titles, but those games still exist, nobody's been willing to pay for a version that exhibits minimal differences from otherwise easily found versions and/or those that do have it aren't very interested in sharing it with the internet.